This is what a 17lber looks like!

Hey everyone,

I'm here on the south west coast of Nova Scotia and we found a great little seafood market.

Nautical Seafood is a big seafood supplier here in the Annapolis Valley on the Bay Of Fundy. We bought fresh fish and lobster there on Monday and had a feast. We went back today to get scallops to eat for dinner and the young lady behind the counter show my daughters this massive 17lb lobster. It's their mascot for the season and will be releasing in in October.

This young lady took the time and showed my kids different colour variations like blue, grey, mottled orange and black, a green and orange that looked like a gourde around October and bright orange.

It was an neat experience for them

https://flic.kr/p/Knojtm

https://www.flickr.com/gp/stromesphotos/7tRrov

Down in Digby they used to have a 25lbr. preserved at the local chamber offices back in the day.

By the way, if you want fresh off the boat, used to get great seafood, and reasonable up in Parker's Cove. A little off the beaten path, but a great scenic drive up and over the ridge.

My wife and I are heading to the east coast in September for a few weeks, gonna do Nova Scotia & PEI but won't be setting any destinations, just gonna cruise around till we see something we like and stop.

I was stationed in Halifax with the Navy back in the 60's but from pictures I've seen it sure looks a LOT different now than it did 1/2 a century ago.

Digby and the entire south coast of Nova Scotia are definitely on the list.

No destinations and no time schedule makes for a great trip.

Edited by lew

Lew, we are here in Annapolis Valley and have toured all the towns in the area including Lunenburg and Mahone bay. This area is so laid back and slowed its awesome. Not one bad driver, not traffic no trashy areas.

Annapolis is the starting point for the creation of Canada. The history here is amazing. I suggest taking the candlelight tour here at night. Quite interesting

Thanks Dave, we're gonna be taking in all the sights and are really looking forward to spending time in the Annapolis Valley and all the small fishing villages. We did Nova Scotia 25 years ago but didn't spend enough time down where you are now.

Interestingly though, my ship was HMCS Annapolis.

I did my basic training just north of Digby in Cornwallis and even though that training base is closed down now there's still a museum there I want to visit.

As I said above, we're gonna spend a day or 2 in Halifax but from what I can see from wandering around on Google Maps it doesn't appear as if any of my old stomping grounds even exist anymore.

Guess I'm gonna be a stranger in a place I knew very well many many years ago.

A lot of fish processing plants will sell you fish out the back door... Last time there I bought fresh haddock for $2.50 a pound.. if you buy lobster from the boat it will be cheaper or free as we found out in Cape Breton when they gave us 3.. we were offered a 10lb one but I told the guys it wouldn't fit in the pot!!.. Next year we will probably go back..