Easy access money exchange

seanik

We are traveling North to Sudbury and a train in to Lodge 88. The route will be QEW to 407 to 400. Other then the money exchange at the duty free is there a convenient exchange along our route, one that isn't to far out of the way ?

Seanik

Fishing licences can be purchased on line here you need the sportsman card as well

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada

Any bank in the US will order cash but it is not usually on hand so allow a day or two. Check with any major airport as well they have it on hand.

Art

Like Art says, just from days of old, most bank branches didn't have enough Canadian cash on hand. In smaller towns and burbs here stateside it is even more of a problem finding Canadian cash, most I dealt with would get it for you.

An auto club location might have some ideas? Do people still use travelers checks?

It may be easier to make the exchange in Canada. All Canadian banks will have Cdn$ on hand; and I would think they will all accept US$. I am not if there will be an issue for a U.S. resident who doesn't have an account with the bank.

Any large town or city will also have specially exchange centres. They may have better rates than the bank; but you would probably need to be exchanging quite a bit of money to make the rate difference worth going out of your way to find one.

You could get your money exchanged at Pearson Airport; but that will be a pain to get in an out; and they probably won't give you a good rate.

p.s. Many stores, etc. will accept US$. They may not give you a good rate though.

Edited by JohnBacon

On your way up hwy 400, stop off at Barrie Ont...Lots of banks, Cdn Tires, and a Cabelas besides lots of eateries and Tim Horton's.

I don't know the exact locations but Brian would and any of the Barrie members...

Duty free is the only one directly along your route. Used to be one along the QEW at St Catherine's, but I think it has closed down. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Canadian banks will exchange currency and you may get a little better rate than duty free. Unfortunately, duty free in the US side has limited parking if you are towing a boat. Couple times in the past, I could find no parking and went on to St Catherine's. I have been buying my Canadian fishing licenses online as Art suggested. I print off a couple copies, in case one gets lost or damaged. I keep en extra copy in the boat and one in the truck. Also save off a copy as a PDF and have it in my email -

Just in case. Maybe overkill, but I dont want to have to buy another one

Edited by Rich Clemens

We have also exchanged US for Canadian funds at local banks and never had an issue. Some places may want some form of ID, so I just take along my passport. You should have no issue doing this. Many lodges accept US currency and give a fair exchange as well.

Good luck

Edited by Rich Clemens

You will aways get the best possible exchange rate by using either debit or credit cards to purchase the majority of items. Bank cash exchange rates are marked up 2-3% minimum. Carry maybe $100 in Canadian currency just in case. Don't use currency exchanges or you will get royally ripped.

Once you get off from 407 to 400, you can get next exit for Vaughn Mills mall. Mall is on your way not a detour. At Vaughn Mills you can get your fishing licence at Bass Pro and can exchange money at Calforex Currency Exchange (their rates are usually better comparing to major banks).

use a bank, I went to Aruba and got a fair deal, brought some back Some US $ and keeping until it gets better! Your american $ always gets more CDN $ :(

About a 1.30 right now for your buck! Please come we need the tourism!

Bring you own beer if you can. Lol

WELCOME.