Wood twist bit for aluminum?

boombap

If you mean a spade bit like in the pic below.

It will work as long as it's one of the ones with the points on the end.

It will wear out quickly and you need to go slowly, but it will work in a pinch.

I use either a hole saw or UNI bit when I need to run stuff in my boat. ;)

short-length-spade-bits-393.jpg

That particular bit will bite in & pull the drill in very quickly, so you want to ensure there is nothing behind your surface that will be damaged. (wiring) Go slow & hold on tight to the drill, pulling back toward you with a little pressure. I would prefer a 3/4" bit you would normally use to drill steel. Good luck!

Get the right tool for the job. In this case a metal hole saw bit. You will be able to use the proper bit afterwards but it may kill your wood bit after maybe 1 use only. Borrow one. and . I know of more than 1 person that has bought a tool from HD then brought it back once they are done. Me, never.

I was in a pinch and needed to drill a hole in the storage bin of my tracker to run some wire. It was through aluminum and it ended up working. I started the hole with a self tapping screw so the threaded tip of the bit would stay in one place.

There's probably a better bit for the job, but in my case I had already made 37 trips to Home Depot for this project and didn't feel like making another one...

I meant one of these

024721092786_04427503.jpg

I fear a spade bit will butcher it.

Those would be auger bits. ;)

If you are going to try pre-drill a pilot hole the size of the widest point on the screw tip so it doesn't draw the flutes into the metal.

You want to go slow and with light pressure.

Spade bits actually work pretty good in aluminium as the points on the tips of the wings cut through without chewing up the metal.

But as I said with either type of bit the key is light pressure and low RPM.

I have an assortment of bits up to 7/8 for what you need. If you need to borrow one or a few, hit me up. I'd be glad to help out. You'll need a 1/2" drill.

Thanks for the offer but I was able to do it with a old spade bit and some wd40.

Now if you had some 1" rubber grommets laying around I wouldn't mind taking one of your hands.. lol.

I checked home depot/lowes but the biggest was 3/4. I'm thinking west marine. Anyone?

If it doesn't show, I will usually make my own grommets for larger diameter holes. Use a short length of any small rubber or vinyl tube. Slice it lengthwise and cut it to length to suit the hole diameter. Sorry - no photo handy. If I'm not explaining it well let me know.

If it doesn't show, I will usually make my own grommets for larger diameter holes. Use a short length of any small rubber or vinyl tube. Slice it lengthwise and cut it to length to suit the hole diameter. Sorry - no photo handy. If I'm not explaining it well let me know.

Was in my garage looking around at the shelves to see if I could come up with something, this never crossed my mind. Thanks.

No you're not. I'm not the most mechanically sharp tool in the box. Please excuse my ignorance. What does a piece of rubber tube have to do with drilling a hole?

Now if you had some 1" rubber grommets laying around I wouldn't mind taking one of your hands.. lol.

I checked home depot/lowes but the biggest was 3/4. I'm thinking west marine. Anyone?

No you're not. I'm not the most mechanically sharp tool in the box. Please excuse my ignorance. What does a piece of rubber tube have to do with drilling a hole?

All sorted out now on the rubber reply?

Thanks for the offer but I was able to do it with a old spade bit and some wd40.

WD 40 is not a lubricant. It displaces water. Water Displacement Formula 40. You never know when you might be on Jeopardy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Next time try one of these step drill bits.

step.jpg

You can get them at Princess Auto.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/g-r-i-p-2-pc-jumbo-titanium-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drill-bit-set/A-p8487035e

The quality is about normal for PA stuff; but it'll work long enough for the number of holes I'd ever need to drill that large.

Dan.

These ones go on sale all the time at Canadian tire for $17.99 does the trick and beats spending $50 on a single one like i did once thinking it would be worth it but once its dull theres not much you can do for it...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/drills/drill-bits-sets-accessories/mastercraft-step-drill-set-3-pc-0540698p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

Edited by Lucas F