Is this open water desperation?

Joeytier

Well, winter decided to hang on late around here yet again, so I had no choice but to force lady spring's hand...

Last Tuesday I threw the waders and the long rod in the truck and beat down a snowy, muddy access road to a lake I knew had an inlet with a fair amount of current and wouldn't be murder to walk into. While I probably could've walked onto the pot lakes, this spot had a nice 100 ft band of open water, so I made due and froze my nardlings off and put the mesh under this nice laker...they are real beautiful from this area...

IMG_20160426_111752269_zps6hk3tyy3.jpg

Today I made the trek down to the Haliburton Highlands (because enough's enough ya know) and found wet water! A couple gorgeous golden lakers graced us with their presence too, including this 27" pig! Not bad for a first time on a big water body.

IMG_0333_zps8v2aqzw8.jpg

Water was 40-46 mostly, and they didn't seem to be in full on spring mode yet, which made them tough to pattern.

Question for those in the know, does that laker appear to be one of the golden lake trout strain? The two we caught appeared to have a pretty distinct colouration to them?

Nice fish Joey , glad to see the open water lake trout reports starting to come in .

I agree with chris in that the lake trout won't really start getting active for another

2 weeks or so . Water has to warm up a bit and get the lakes systems moving .

Perfect timing for my own laker trip in a couple weeks !

As for the last pic. i'm really not sure but it is a nice one though :good:

Nice fish Joey , glad to see the open water lake trout reports starting to come in .

I agree with chris in that the lake trout won't really start getting active for another

2 weeks or so . Water has to warm up a bit and get the lakes systems moving .

Perfect timing for my own laker trip in a couple weeks !

As for the last pic. i'm really not sure but it is a nice one though :good:

Yep, same thing every year, fish are mostly scattered during the first two weeks after iceout but still very catchable.