Poachers active in York Region

kickingfrog

A large portion of this is driven by our multicultural society. We need more education, especially among those who neither hunt or fish and never have read fish and game regulations, maybe full page notices in ethnic newspapers, I don't know :dunno:

Fines and jail time are a joke still- amp it up and hold .........accountable. Imagine the big head carp being tuned loose! I have no doubt in my lifetime I will see the asian carp spread throughout the waters that I grew up fishing on. As for other nationalities that are doing this, don't get me started...

Edited by aplumma
if you use that word again I will delete your post

Wonder what the ratio of poachers to the general population is compared to other regions?

The market is in the York region, the actual poachers not so much. A large number of persons buying these fish and such from markets and other shady middlemen are probably unaware they are illegal.

Anyone know if these fellas were from outta town? From what I've read, they got scooped up by Port Hope Police that same day. Apparently, they started fishing at Sylvan Glenn lol.

I can't imagine anyone local being that dumb to do that, hence why it might be out of towners.

image.jpeg

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Not enough

If you make a mistake and cross a boundary line by accident or miscounted by 1-2 perch big deal... Your still alright in my books...

But the examples given were obviously people abusing a resource... Throw the book at em... The other poachers might think twice...

I found this line interesting:

quoting:A large female sturgeon can carry up to 100 pounds of eggs, meaning one fish could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The perps had 20lbs of eggs and 4lbs of S Meat and were fined 20M +.

what the hell Big Deal.

That fine should have been financially devastating to these crooks and their lic's revoked for life + jail time. That meat came from a dead sturgeon/eggs. What a crock this province has become.

Thanks to a very well written article (No Offense to the author) current and future crooks have now been made aware that a female sturgeon can carry up to 100lbs of eggs and according to the cops potentially worth "hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Duh.........a 20M dollar fine is peanuts to these crooks - merely a cost of doing their crooked business.

Edited by miami

Thanks to a very well written article (No Offense to the author) current and future crooks have now been made aware that a female sturgeon can carry up to 100lbs of eggs and according to the cops potentially worth "hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If they think that they are going to get a 100 pounds of eggs from an Ontario sturgeon, I think they will be in for a big dissapointment. That figure must come from coastal sturgeon. I think the fish would have to weigh over 500 pounds to have 100 pounds of eggs. I think the Ontario records is about 150 pounds. I am not sure how accurate the rest of the information is.

Regardless, I don't think it is realistic to just leave all of the facts out of an article in hopes that those with criminal intent don't get any ideas. The information is out there. I am sure that many criminals have better information that the writer of the article.