Skunkitis...it's catching (Now with pics)

Beans

Monday...

I met Crappieperchhunter over at Carp Point this morning...I was late getting there as I wanted to see my wife off to Toronto for the week...Maribeth is day-caring a couple of our niece's girls while their Philipino nanny is back home for a visit...By the time I got there he had caught and released three...and he caught two more while I was there...

I was getting lots of good hits but no hook-ups...I was checking my feeder and my line but not 'till near quitting time did we think to check my hook...sure as hell the point was bent backwards and a flick of my thumbnail broke it off...no wonder I wasn't getting any hook-ups :blush: and as most carp fishers know, they basically hook themselves on the first tug and run...

Didn't have time to checkout the new hair rig I tied on but will get to test it tomorrow morning... :Gonefishing:

Don't like what I was reading about Scugog carp...Scugog empties into Sturgeon Lake at Lindsay...then Surgeon empties into Pigeon Lake at Bobcaygeon...Hmmmm

Tuesday...

I got there earlier today and went 2 landed and one lost...The lost one got me tangled around (under?) a rock and we had a tug of war battle for about ten minutes...I'd give him slack and he would run off...reel him back but no way would he get himself untangled...reminded me of my old dog that would get himself wrapped around a post in the middle of the back yard then bark 'till I got him untangled...finally the line got too frayed from rubbing on the rocks and he was gone...sharp hooks do make a big difference... :thumbsup_anim:

The best laugh of the day was when Crappieperchunter's wife wandered over to visit with us and up to that point he wasn't doing very well...lots of line bumps but no hook-ups...then success...Fish-on..."you brought me good luck honey"...then snap...Fish off..."Go away...you jinxed me"...

Poor Deb went from a good luck charm to bad luck to a good hunting dog all in the span of ten seconds... :rolleyes: (we won't talk about me falling on my donkey trying to land my second one :blush:

Steve went 2 landed and 2 or 3 lost by the time I left...tomorrow we give the carp a rest and take the "Tin" out for a spin hopefully for some late crappie or pickerels...

The lad doing his thing

Bye Bye Mr. Carp

Edited by Beans

i've lost many fish because of a weak/bent/dull hook as well ...

lost a good sized one over the weekend when it straightened my hook ... i guess i applied alittle too much force with the pliers when unhooking another one caught earlier with the same hook :S ...

good luck tomorrow!

Yeah h h h h . . . . . . I KNOW the feeling . . . . a couple years ago I lost 5 in a row . . . . they just managed to dislodge the hook . . . . finally a fellow carper said I should closely examine my hook . . . YUP! It was a new hook, I'd only tied it on that morning, but when I squeezed the barb to break it off, somehow the very tip broke too . . . . damn thing wouldn't pierce MY hide! This was an Eagle Claw . . . which is fairly difficult to snap a barb off . . . . with the Nash hooks (4X more expensive) they seem to be designed to come off cleanly, so I use them most of the time. Actual barbless hooks that are conducive to catching carp are almost non-existent . . . . and when you can find barbless, they are way y y y y too pricey! I'm also quite perturbed about the carp die-off up on Scugog . . . . DEFINITELY not water quality . . . . if this was the case, EVERYTHING would be dead, and the carp would STILL be swimming around? The virus that was causing mass die-offs in Eastern Lake Ontario appeared to affect ALL fish, from what I recall? ANY info ANYBODY picks up on this . . . . it would be very appreciated if you could post updates . . . . for many of us now, who are relegated to fish the shore, this is the ONLY B I I I I G fighting fish we have . . . . so it is cause for concern among us. And who knows when it MIGHT pread to other species?

Skunkitis!!!! I hear you!!! It's been real hit and miss lately...but even on the miss nights, I still manage one. Last night was a complete skunk....and in my report you'll see that an actual skunk visited me...talk about a sign...LOL.

I am happy to report that he has dropped 90 pounds by sticking to his diet and exercising regularily...he now weighs 2 lbs less than me...I think the haircut accounts for the last 2 lbs... :whistling:

Way to go Steve...I'm proud of you... :clapping:

Maybe you will be the motivation for me to get off my ass and knock off a few pounds myself...You and Meely are good role models... :blush:

Wednesday...One decent crappie and 2 good sized bluegill was all we caught worth mentioning but not enough to bother cleaning so, after a nice boatride in the keepewr basket, they were released...

Thursday...CPH went 6 for 10 and I went 1 for 3 in the carp department...I should have started earlier...he said he was 3 for 5 before I got there at 07:30 AM...

Friday...15 June 2007

My best day yet...both CPH and I caught and landed 4 each including a double header...we nearly had another double header but Steve's hook pulled loose...forgot the count of the number we lost...several for sure

Don't know if I'll get a chance to carp fish over the weekend...Steve's son is coming up tonight to spend time with his dad (Father's Day) and our "swim" is good for only two carpers especially if one is right-handed and the other left...I'll take a run over in the morning to see how they are doing...

I'd like to say thanks to Crappieperchhunter for doing all my unhooking for me...I'm getting too unstable in my old age to be scrambling down the rocks to the water's edge...

Dang!...it's a (female dawg) to get old so don't do it...it hurts too much !!! :whistling:

Edited by Beans

Great to hear you're into 'em! I did okay over at the Ganny today . . . 9 for 12, biggest . . . . just over 22 pounds! They laid off the maize, so I tossed a pineapple boilie out . . . . . less than 3 minutes . . . . WHAM!! FISH ON! I'm almost outta boilies, stopped at Gagnons, Tightlines & Angling Specialties on my way home . . . managed a bag of peach boilies at A. S. I'm just waiting on a spot to open up for my hyperbaric treatment, I'm next on the priority list . . . gonna pretty well screw my summer! I doubt I'll make it up to your wee spot this year . . . . maybe next? Good luck lads!

P. S.

I'll bet at this stage of the diet, even those carp are looking delicious to C P H!!