things to ask Santa for in Yellowknife

mr blizzard

Caught a nice laker today in 72 ft of water, hopefully Rick can post the pic for me because it is too challenging on our computer, Brian u would be proud

Anyways have a trout, but cannot find a store in town that has BUTTER yes Butter, and then we go to find a pre packaged dry batter yes fish crisp BUT again the stores are sold out,,,,,then we go to get some Coleman green bottles of propane BUT no one has them THEN CTC says they wont have any till the END of JANUARY ,,,,,,,WTH,,,,,, so no fish fry tonight

There are some hoarders up here for sure

Dear Santa I would like a stach of butter, propane and fish crisp for Christmas

Thank you Dave for bringing up some sweet onion salad dressing which has become extinct up here

And there is a demand according to our lovely grocery store manager for butter producers, I don't know if he is correct or not but for the last 2 weeks the shelves have been empty lol

The co-op has some watered down butter but no

Enjoy the luxuries in life :tease:

Hope u guys get some ice that is safe real soon down south

Your right Chris That's why we left Ontario, smog traffic etc but considering the amount of fishing up here u would think the few stores that are up here would order more stock that is winter related for the winter :wallbash:,,yes Chris got tired of regular Barrie to Toronto or Toronto to Oakville runs for sure , but not having adequate propane supplies for the winter recreationalist,,,,,,,,,,,the shelves will be buck naked for 3 to 4 weeks, not a lot of fore planning

Brian I guess we could try margarine yuck :tease:but desperate times for despirate measures lol

I tried to clear the pms but obviously my attempts were frugal sos assistance appreciated

Mike we use the propane bottles for a bit of heat to warm hands up on the ice or to boil water for a T or to boil hot dogs for a nwt version of a tailgate party. as Dave will tell you my hide is weathered, I don't use a hut lol

I know it is probably too late for THAT laker, but your NEXT one will turn out very tasty if you fillet it, leave the skin on, and cook it on the BBQ. Season the non-skin side with seasoned salt, dill seed, lemon pepper, and whatever else you like, cook it skin side down on a piece of aluminum foil, until the flesh flakes easily with a fork.

OR take that same fillet, skin on, sprinkle EITHER lemon juice OR soya sauce on it, season it as above, and wrap it in aluminum foil, cook on the BBQ, result is basically steamed/poached fish and is lovely.

All this of course if you have propane for a full-size BBQ. Both recipes also work well in the oven, but the first one doesn't get the "smokey" BBQ flavour.

But yes I know that most YK lakers get seasoned and deep-fried, and they are DELICIOUS!

Doug

Why not refill your green tanks?

They sell adapters in the States to connect a green tank to a 25lb tanks.

They're not sold here in Canada anymore but its easy to make an adapter.

All you need is a plumber's torch head, BBQ propane hose and a Kitchen scale.

Fix the hose to the torch head (covering or cutting off the torch's air venturi holes). Now connect the hose/adapter to both tanks. Turn the 25Lb tank upside down, so that liquid propane will transfer into the 1lb green tank. Put the empty 1lb on the scale and then zero the scale. Turn the 25lb tank fully on and then slowly open the torch valve. When the scale reads 1lb turn everything off and disconnect the adapter; you're ready to go with a full green tank.

Check the green tank for a leak; after a number of times of being filled, it may start to; that's when you throw it away.

Dan.

DAN that is an awesome tip :clapping: :clapping:never knew or heard of that

I have all the parts you are speaking of

Plus I still have 7 or 8 empty green tanks

Just have to purchase a scale

I have a project this weekend now :worthy:

Will save some money for sure plus we will not be relying on store inventory or lack thereof :tease:

Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tip with the members of this board

Brian I guess we could try margarine yuck :tease:but desperate times for despirate measures lol

I tried to clear the pms but obviously my attempts were frugal sos assistance appreciated

Mike we use the propane bottles for a bit of heat to warm hands up on the ice or to boil water for a T or to boil hot dogs for a nwt version of a tailgate party. as Dave will tell you my hide is weathered, I don't use a hut lol

5# tank!!! 1# bottles are for the rich!!! :tease::tease::tease::tease: