London Carp Fishing

mepps

I'm sure some of you are waiting for the second half of the LV pike report - it should be ready any day now, we are jsut working on editing some videos!

Today Gillian and I decided to head down the street to the river and see if we could catch some carp. There are several spots that I have seen carp swimming around in so I was confident we would find some fish. As soon as we arrived I threw out several handfulls of corn and then we got our equipment ready and started to fish. There were carp in the area within minutes. Despite several ducks stealing the corn, Gillian had a fish on within 20 minutes!

Armed with a Quantum 20 PTi and an UglyStik (a combo I refer to as beauty and the beast) she was caught off guard when line started peeling off the reel. The drag screamed as the fish headed down stream. I quickly realized her drag was set really light since I had last used it for walleye up at LV. After a huge run, I looked down at her reel and could see that the bottom of the spool was fast approaching, Gillian was a step ahead of me though and was already starting to head down the shore in chase.

She was quickly running out of room and needed to scale down a 6 foot wall to get to the shore in order resume her chase. Being nearly 7 months pregnant, this was not an option - she handed me the rod, and I jumped down the wall as the last few strands of line were about to unravel. I grabbed the line and pulled, turning the carp. I quickly adjusted the drag by this time Gillian had found her way down the wall, so I handed her back the rod. The fish was now in the current and despite a legendary effort, Gillian could not get him to move. After several minutes he charged back up stream and Gillian was able to gain back some line. Finally we had a good look at the fish, a solid 6-8lbs - A very nice sized carp for this area of the river. She slipped on a glove and held the fish for a quick photo and a release as a small crowd watched from the top of the wall.

Thirty minutes later it was my turn. I watched a small carp moving straight toward my bait and I held on tight expecting another epic battle. I was using my ultralight rod (5'2 UglyStik) with 10lb powerpro. I set the hook and....nothing . The carp flipped and flopped a couple times and I was able to grab it within a minute. Quite a disapointment after seeing how hard Gillian's carp faught. We called it a day shortly after, but we were both very pleased that both of us landed a fish.

This scrappy little guy made it all teh way down to those rocks near the next bridge before we were able to gain any ground on him...

gillian-carp-small.jpg

The first in-utero fish!! My baby boy has got an ealy start :)

clive-carp-small.jpg

Thought I'd add one more - this was from earlier in the day - further north on the Thames...

gillian.jpg

Edited by mepps

I wouldnt normally use an ultralight - the carp in the area arnt very big - it was either musky rod and reel, or ultra light!

I hear you...the first few carp bly and I landed were on our steelhead setups. Bly landed a 25 pounder on 6 pound test and my first was around 15 pounds on 8 pound test!!! LOL. It was a lot of fun trying to turn them around on that setup, so I can imagine what it was like for you. Half the fun in fishing is working to bring it in...especially after you realize you're drag is not set right...makes the blood pump even faster!! We acutally use our 9 foot surf rods and reels...their big and heavy, but it's not like we cast it a thousand times...haha.

Good on you two...really enjoyed your report!

That's a great spot in the river you were at. Lots of fish around. A 5wt flyrod with something that looks like a crayfish or a "bread" fly (any large white fly that looks like sinking bread that the ducks missed) works great down there.

2 more months to go, I just spent last night and today at St. Joes with my wife and new daughter. Best of luck to both of you when the day finally arrives!

BTW my boat doesn't breakdown as much as Slowpokes does! ;)

jjcanoe

BTW my boat doesn't breakdown as much as Slowpokes does! ;)

jjcanoe

How would you know? You never use your boat!!! Congrat's again with the arrival of Kara Yvonne

Clive, nice day on the river - that must have been a sight to behold! I wasn't sure if Gillian had delivered yet, I was thrown off by another members post congratulating you on the new baby. Two more months til due date? That's at least another month of carping for her... maybe a month and half if you set her up with the right rod!

-Brian

How would you know? You never use your boat!!!

LOL!

We'll be at it again im sure - we only have a weekend or two available for fishing before we are moving!

Congrats JJ - our due date is September 16. We will be heading out east for his birth.

Congratulations to both of you on Gillian's carp, and the upcoming special arrival!

The portrait of your lovely wife is stunning. The serenity and beauty of a mom to be was captured beautifully in that photo. Thanks for sharing that.