GRILW Took Me Carp Fishing Today . . . . (PIC HEAVY)

Photoz

I pulled up to Greg's house this morning about 03:45 . . . . he wasn't exactly all bright-eyed & bushy tailed . . . as most young lads, he'd been out quite late Saturday night, and needed about 2 days sleep! But . . . I managed to get him into the van, and off to beautiful Lake 'X,' in the Kawarthas we headed. Got there about 05:45 . . . ba a a a d omen . . . NOBODY there yet! When fish are being caught, ya wanna be there BEFORE daylight! About 3 hours later, Gregs line slowly peels out . . . he sets the hook . . . and hauled in a dead weight . . . a dead body maybe? Then we could call Peterborough CSI and watch as the did their magic! No such luck . . . Greg hauls in this icky looking batch of rust coloured sea weed . . . this was the most exciting thing we had happen there.

med_gallery_77_129_3870.jpg

So, we took a ride toward Port Hope, with a little jaunt through Bewdley, where you could see the carp splashing and chasing each other through the weeds along the shore of Rice Lake . . . . spawning . . . no use even thinking about trying here! We got to the Ganny, and set up just south of the footbridge, spent about an hour there, Greg was tightening up his line, all of a sudden it takes off!! Here's Greg, hangin' on as the carp peels line at an amazing rate . . . tryin' to 'spool' him. After about 10 minutes the fish was subdued . . . and weighed in at 23 pounds! And here's a happy camper . . . . nice way to start you 2007 carping season!

med_gallery_77_129_3684.jpg

med_gallery_77_129_78306.jpg

But . . . . . t'ain't over yet . . . . half hour later his buzzer starts screamin' again, again the fish heads for the lake, took lotsa line before Greg got 'im halted. 'Nudder 20+ one . . . . actually weighed in at 22 pounds . . . . Greg managed to get a better grip on this one for his pic!!

med_gallery_77_129_3684.jpg

med_gallery_77_129_12256.jpg

med_gallery_77_129_6690.jpg

A girl fishing next to us caught what were believed to be a gobie, but it was jet black? Another angler thought it MIGHT be a sculpin . . . anybody can tell me which it is?

med_gallery_77_129_87852.jpg

All in all, it was a great day . . . Greg allowed me to bait his hook, even trusted me enough to allow me to net his fish, and even take pictures. Yup, bein' a spectator ain't ALL bad . . . . he said he's gonna quizz me on what I learned today, and if I'm really good at remembering how he catches carp, he might even let me share my pod & buzzers with him! Now how much better can it get. Oh . . . . I got skunked again . . . . who'da thunk it, eh?