Simcoe Smallies

steverowbotham

The past couple of weeks have been some of the best in recent memory on Lake Simcoe. The lake is on schedule and the smallies are predictably setting up where they should. Fish are averaging 4-5 lbs with fish up to 7lbs showing up for us. I dont have many pictures to offer from the past couple weeks. As a catch and release guy, John Whyte recently posted an insightful piece about smallmouth out of deep water. There is really no need to keep these fish out of water for too long at this time of year. These fish are coming out of deep water and their swim bladders will inflate quickly if not released within 30-40 seconds. In the past I have kept fish for photos and gone through the fizzing process. I am quite familiar with fizzing, but earlier this year had a big one die on me because of it. My neighbour enjoyed it, but I felt quite guilty. I opted to video these fish and keep their health in mind, getting them back as quick as possible. I've compiled some clips from the past couple of weeks. Enjoy.