Exploring The Ogoki Outback - A Trip To Mojikit Lake

solopaddler

Great report! Took a few hours over days to read thoroughly.

The maps, the personal details (coffee snobbery), switching engines, great photos of landscape, cabin interiors, butter chicken (north Ontario-style) and of course Golden Eagle, etc....

Kinda felt like reading fishing magazine back in early 80's.

Awesome, you are lucky to fulfill and share your passions.

Forgot to add liked the use of musky spinnerbait, DepthRaider, etc

Edited by ehg

Fantastic read and report as usual Mike!! I love how it's written from each day to day from beginning to end as it makes the reader feel like they are along for the ride. I have the same feeling about deviating from walleye most of the time wanting to search for that one monster gator!!! Looking forward to reading the new mag in the future. Hope some BC steel is in your future :)

Matt

Thanks Matt!! The BC steelhead thing will definitely be happening just not sure when.

Unbelievable Mike, always enjoy your reports. Thanks :)

Thanks Jo! :)

Great read, thanks Mike.

You're most welcome, glad you enjoyed it!

Another beauty trip and great read. Always appreciate your stories.

Glad you enjoyed!

Great report! Took a few hours over days to read thoroughly.

The maps, the personal details (coffee snobbery), switching engines, great photos of landscape, cabin interiors, butter chicken (north Ontario-style) and of course Golden Eagle, etc....

Kinda felt like reading fishing magazine back in early 80's.

Awesome, you are lucky to fulfill and share your passions.

Forgot to add liked the use of musky spinnerbait, DepthRaider, etc

Thanks Erik. I'm always slightly surprised when it's obvious that people actually READ my reports LOL! I think most people skim through them and check out the photos.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback! :)

It took 2 days and hundreds of dollars of my employers money to read that. Your trips are the stuff of dreams! I too am flabbergasted to hear that you or anyone could be sick of eating walleye...... That just doesn't make sense. Regardless, your contribution to this forum is incredible. Thank you for sharing!

One last thing,

What does that Chris Brock fella have that I don't? Other than golden blond hair....... TWO TRIPS THIS YEAR?!?!

When's my turn??????

Lucky duck!

Great report as always there Mike . I know I have said it before but thanks for putting these reports together , they are a bit of work !

I like to go through these fishing reports again throughout the winter to cure those winter blues , thanks :good:

It took 2 days and hundreds of dollars of my employers money to read that. Your trips are the stuff of dreams! I too am flabbergasted to hear that you or anyone could be sick of eating walleye...... That just doesn't make sense. Regardless, your contribution to this forum is incredible. Thank you for sharing!

One last thing,

What does that Chris Brock fella have that I don't? Other than golden blond hair....... TWO TRIPS THIS YEAR?!?!

When's my turn??????

Lucky duck!

Nice to hear I contributed to your lack of productivity LOL! Trust me you can get sick of eating almost anything, walleye included. :)

As far as Chris goes he probably has nothing over you. Golden blonde hair? LOL! I always thought of Chris as kind of haggard looking. :) What Chris is is a good friend. It's one of the great things about this board and I know many would agree, I've made some long lasting great friendships here. There's a long list of other members I'd love to fish with at some point if possible...

Great report as always there Mike . I know I have said it before but thanks for putting these reports together , they are a bit of work !

I like to go through these fishing reports again throughout the winter to cure those winter blues , thanks :good:

You're most welcome!

Awesome Mike! I enjoyed every minute of your report. Your pix & videos are fantastic.

Thanks!! Not sure about the vids being fantastic but they do add to the story! I'm getting better with them, but like everything they're a work in progress.

Nice to hear I contributed to your lack of productivity LOL! Trust me you can get sick of eating almost anything, walleye included. :)

As far as Chris goes he probably has nothing over you. Golden blonde hair? LOL! I always thought of Chris as kind of haggard looking. :) What Chris is is a good friend. It's one of the great things about this board and I know many would agree, I've made some long lasting great friendships here. There's a long list of other members I'd love to fish with at some point if possible...

True. I think there was a time in my life that I was actually tired of eating cheeseburgers........ It wasn't a long period, but a time none the less.

From what I gather from these forums, Chris would be a riot to hang out with. I think you made a good call there. And your right about this board. So many cool and interesting people here. I'm so greatful to be a part of it!

All the best!

Edited by Steelheadphycho

Great article Mike, takes me back and relive that whole week. What a blast we had; and your basketball skills are really good with the half dozen other items that did make the can. Don's camps are top notch with leaving no wanting for anything, a very professional outfit that has left me a little spoiled now. I don't think it can really get any better

Great article Mike, takes me back and relive that whole week. What a blast we had; and your basketball skills are really good with the half dozen other items that did make the can. Don's camps are top notch with leaving no wanting for anything, a very professional outfit that has left me a little spoiled now. I don't think it can really get any better

Eddie!!! It was a fun trip wasn't it? And yeah my basketball skills are way better than that little video clip you filmed of the "sour cream challenge". Your commentary cracks me up every time I watch it. It's hard to hear so you have to crank the volume up to 100% to hear anything. :)

Thanks fellas!

Steve those mid lake islands were surrounded by killer structure, we fished them like crazy!! One even had a huge patch of cabbage directly adjacent to deep water! We went back to it a bunch of times cause I agree - it looked like money!! We caught fish around those island clusters but nothing crazy..

The killer hump was kind of the NW corner, I actually marked the spot on one of the map pics I posted.

Can't believe you used that giant Len Thompson for Browns LOL!

There will be no more major northern trips this year, but I might head to BC to steelhead fish, not sure yet. Next year is going to be pretty awesome though.

I used the Len Thompsons for browns when I needed to go a little deeper than a cleo was getting me (and by deep I mean 8' of water, down from 5' of water, lol). My first year of chasing browns I only had an old tackle box with some of my dad's old spoons in it...wabler, crocodile, LT#4, cleo, and of course, the staples Daredevil and 5 of Diamonds. Trout will eat anything :) :)

how much casting vs trolling do you guys do on these trips? I'm assuming the trolling is the way to cover water until you find the money spots.

I used the Len Thompsons for browns when I needed to go a little deeper than a cleo was getting me (and by deep I mean 8' of water, down from 5' of water, lol). My first year of chasing browns I only had an old tackle box with some of my dad's old spoons in it...wabler, crocodile, LT#4, cleo, and of course, the staples Daredevil and 5 of Diamonds. Trout will eat anything :) :)

how much casting vs trolling do you guys do on these trips? I'm assuming the trolling is the way to cover water until you find the money spots.

Honestly if it's large pike you're talking about I'm casting 90% of the time. I troll only when necessary. Walleye are a different story, I often troll to locate fish then sit on them with a jig.

Got thru some of this mandatory reading at OFC this morning while skipping thru from fall back Hallows eve to out the door to Costco and places.

Place on the map looks intriguing and your records of it's history added much to this report.

Thanks for the invite on this one too Mike, with that crew assembled I surely missed out... again!