Home made ATV trailer.

captpierre

Converted a small boat trailer into an ATV trailer.

Built a solid frame and covered with 5/4 x6 PT boards. 5'x8'

No sides for now.

Will get 4 ratchet tie downs.

Wondering how to keep the quad from flying forward in a sudden stop.

Thinking bolting a 4x4 down crossways onto the floor at the front of the front wheels.

Then lock brakes and snug down tie downs.

Would this do?

I had an open deck trailer similar to what you are describing. I had chains on the rear & a boat winch mounted at the front. I hate ratchet straps. I drove the atv onto the trailer to a point where I could attach the 2 rear chains with hooks that also had safety clips. The chains are loose at this point. Go to the front & winch the atv forward until the 2 rear chains were tight. Then I attached a third safety chain to the front of the atv, in case the winch should become slack.

I had an open deck trailer similar to what you are describing. I had chains on the rear & a boat winch mounted at the front. I hate ratchet straps. I drove the atv onto the trailer to a point where I could attach the 2 rear chains with hooks that also had safety clips. The chains are loose at this point. Go to the front & winch the atv forward until the 2 rear chains were tight. Then I attached a third safety chain to the front of the atv, in case the winch should become slack.

That should do it :clapping:

Many winches have been ruined by people doing exactly that. Winches are not intended to take shock loads from towing or trailering which is why you should never use them for for these purposes. Many of the housings out there, including economy model Warns, are constructed of plastic and shock loads can and will cause premature failure.

Anyone who uses their machine or trailers a lot will tell you that using a winch line as a tow line or in place of a tie down is just asking for trouble. I've personally seen at least a half dozen issues each season over the past few years. Winch housings cracking, both synthetic and steel lines breaking, ATV's coming loose from loose line on the winch drum, plastic gears sheared off winch housings, etc...

Use straps or chains to secure the ATV with 2 on each end anchored towards the corners. Better yet, do it the best way and use ratcheting tire straps.

Oh ya, frame is much sturdier than those 3/4 inch racks, they can bend quite easily. Remember that weight x speed = crash force. So a 600 lb ATV x 100km/h becomes a pretty hefty weight to try and hold down. Any physics wizards out there?

Not a physics wizard, but I can tell you that a slightly worn 10,000 lb strap can be broken by an ATV in a 80 km/h collision...

Not a physics wizard, but I can tell you that a slightly worn 10,000 lb strap can be broken by an ATV in a 80 km/h collision...

And when that now flying ATV continues forward in motion, you have a pretty deadly projectile. Remember it just might smack you in the back of the head.