Looking for a way to get on the water for bass: charters, word of mouth...?

adam lancia

While I'd love to buy a boat and get on the water yesterday, it's just not in the cards... Yet. Sooooooooooo, are there any charters that you would recommend, specifically to go out and target bass...? Or does anyone out there need someone to split gas money with? I'd love to fish a tournament for fun!

A little back story: both my wife and I play wheelchair basketball for the Canadian Paralympic team. We completed in the Parapan Am Games this past August and with all the training leading up to that, the most fishing we managed was getting up to Burd's twice. We both enjoy fishing but I'm the truly afflicted one. I really NEED to fish. We start back to training in a couple of weeks and would really like to get out on the water, by hook or by crook. If you have any suggestions, feel free to either respond here or send me a PM.

Thanks in advance!

Adam and Jamey

Edited by adam lancia

I know it won't help you this year but there are quite a few Bassmasters clubs within the Toronto area that pair boaters with non boaters for tournaments. I joined the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters in the off season and will be fishing my 4th tournament on Saturday with them. Because our club was low on boaters, I have been a boater for 2 of the 3 events I have participated it. Our club is run really well and I have learned from my boater and non boaters alike. Everyone has something to learn from someone else and I find clubs like these are very good for learning and getting out on the water.

I know not all clubs are run the same so check out the ones in your area and maybe attend a meeting. I do not know how they vote people in up there but our club makes you attend at least one meeting and on the second one you attend, you can be voted in.

Check out Ontariobass.com and click on "about" to see the "find a club" list.

The other positive is I have found many people who have offered to take me out in their boat from this club as well as found a slew of people I would have in my boat any time. Its a good way to meet people with the same love as fishing that you have.

Edited by Lape0019

Can't go wrong with Taro. You'll catch fish and gave a great time he's an awesome guy!

Come to think of it you can't go wrong with any of the choices above and I'm sure any of the guides would be thrilled to have a gold medalist paraolympian out with them!

Edited by toronto_angler

Ok guys, rather than book a guide, how about renting a boat for a day...? Looking for bass lakes within about a 2 hour drive of Scarborough that also have marinas on them which rent boats. A 9.9 tinny isn't what I'm looking for though, something with decent seats (pontoon or a bass/fishing boat) is a must. A trolling motor would be a huge bonus and a fish finder would have me that much extra excited, though neither of those things are necessities. Fire your suggestions my way, thanks!!!

Rosedale marina out of Rosedale on highway 35 is top notch. For $150 I got a 16 foot primo boat with all the fixins and full tank of gas (lasted the entire day. We ran out right at the dock). Balsam lake to the west, Cameron lake to the east for a $16 lock lift fee. Even if you don't catch anything (you will catch something) the area is so beautiful you will have an amazing day.