Night Fishing Small Mouth/ Mississauga lake

Cloudy15

Hey all I am heading to my girlfriends cottage lake and I was thinking night fishing might be the way to go. It is a clear deep lake. I've been once before and I must of caught 50/60 bass in one morning, problem was that only three where over a pound. I plan on fishing pretty hard this long weekend by canoe.

I have a topo map that i am going to try and attach, with two spots I want to focus on.

The first is an island towards the west end where i am staying, it's almost in the middle of the lake and moves down towards a 100 ft relatively quick. That island is the only spot on the lake i have see any real kind of weed growth. If any one knows where other weeds beds are i'd wouldn't mind you sharing.

The Second spot Is where I am planing on focusing a lot of my night efforts on, i haven't fished there before. it's an Island chain on the south end of the lake. Seems to be a large 5ft flat connecting the chain. I was thinking that large flat would be a good feeding ground for the bass at night.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

well I can't figure out how to up load the map. but, if anyone is especially keen to help, I found it at www.anglersatlas.com Mississauga lake of course

pretty handy free site.

It's worth a shot. Spots near deep water.

The weather and water is still warm. On my lake I'm catching smallies at 35 to 42 FOW. In the evening, around 20 FOW over deep weeds.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks, for the info. I will keep that in mind and hopefully have some pics to post

Not only at night. Get out there in the dark in the am. I have had some great few weeks doing so on top water baits. Anywhere from 10-30 fow. Not on that lake, but you never know . Get out there and giver. Post back here when you return. Good luck

Oh, I am going to giver all night long lol.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/media/photos/previews/medium/708681.jpg

Looks like a much deeper lake than most I have fished, but smallies at night? A small jig and pig, jig and plastic around rocky shores, reefs, flats, they sometimes move real shallow to feed. Just from the poor quality map in the link? They don't seem to have to move far to find deeper water, beating the shoreline at night might not be a bad plan.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/media/photos/previews/medium/708681.jpg

Looks like a much deeper lake than most I have fished, but smallies at night? A small jig and pig, jig and plastic around rocky shores, reefs, flats, they sometimes move real shallow to feed. Just from the poor quality map in the link? They don't seem to have to move far to find deeper water, beating the shoreline at night might not be a bad plan.

Lots of deep water and my depth finder came back broken after I lent ti to a find :S thanks for the tips.

early morning's ive been tossing top waters on shoals in 15-20 FOW surrounded by 40+ and its been productive...aside from that im drop shotting in 30 FOW keep the presentation finesse and minimal.

Thanks, the problem will be knowing if I'm in 40 ft or 100 lol. I might bring a 50ft piece of rope out with me and a to get an idea.

When looking for quality over quantity, don't hesitate to upsize your baits and slow them down. Trade the jitterbug for a spook, throw a black spinnerbait with a #7 blade, or a jig and worm combo with a 8" black worm.

Good tip, thanks. I should of tired up sizing a little more i think.

So the weekend is over, and my biggest bass was about 1.5 pounds. I didn't fish nearly as much as I was planning. I find it very hard balancing family time with fishing time.

I caught maybe 30 or so bass total, mostly drop shotting. I don't drop shot much as my home lake is shallow and really weedy. But, I found it really frustrating as I was breaking off seemingly none stop. I was using a 1/0 hook, and in the end went a size down to reduce sangs. The break off at the hook almost every time. I don't know if i was fishing it to slow, setting into rocks way more then I should of been.. etc.

I feel a little bit defeated when it comes to late summer/ fall fishing at the moment, but as I am writing this I want to race back out on the water.

If anyone who really knows their stuff, wanted to show me a thing or two i'd have to jump at the chance. I would obviously pay for gas, lunch etc Pretty much the rules of the road gas, ass or grass. Family Cottage is on the Trent one lock east of rice.

Glad to hear you gave it a try. It's a tough lake from everything I hear, and I rarely consider visiting it even though I live fairly close to it. There are so many other more productive lakes in Haliburton County and North Kawarthas.

I would keep drop shotting, but try different baits such as wacky rigged senkos, leeches, nose hooked senkos, swammers, etc, They will be deep.

the old smallie equation this time of year is still one I am learning myself. Tough to find and deep doesnt make for simple fishing.

As far as your snag and breaking line issues, try heavier test or just go with braid. I honestly only notice a minor difference between fishing braid vs a fluro leader...its probably more a confidence thing anyways.

Practice being patient with snags..when you get one let the line go slack and dont set the hook. slowly work around it continously letting it go completely slack eventually it will come out the way it went in.

glad you got out there, 30 bass even if they are small still makes for a fun time. Sometimes the size just isnt there. Next time try fish 30-40 FOW and dont expect non stop action! the wait can be more worth it.

So the weekend is over, and my biggest bass was about 1.5 pounds. I didn't fish nearly as much as I was planning. I find it very hard balancing family time with fishing time.

I caught maybe 30 or so bass total, mostly drop shotting. I don't drop shot much as my home lake is shallow and really weedy. But, I found it really frustrating as I was breaking off seemingly none stop. I was using a 1/0 hook, and in the end went a size down to reduce sangs. The break off at the hook almost every time. I don't know if i was fishing it to slow, setting into rocks way more then I should of been.. etc.

I feel a little bit defeated when it comes to late summer/ fall fishing at the moment, but as I am writing this I want to race back out on the water.

If anyone who really knows their stuff, wanted to show me a thing or two i'd have to jump at the chance. I would obviously pay for gas, lunch etc Pretty much the rules of the road gas, ass or grass. Family Cottage is on the Trent one lock east of rice.

Not sure, you're losing the hook? Set the drop line deeper.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/dropshot-hooks/845120.aspx

With this type of hook it is pretty easy to tie it to your line and use a lighter line below for the weight.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-sinkers/345490.aspx

With this type of weight and a rubber peg, constant pressure should allow the line to slip the weight if it becomes snagged.

Not sure, you're losing the hook? Set the drop line deeper.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/dropshot-hooks/845120.aspx

With this type of hook it is pretty easy to tie it to your line and use a lighter line below for the weight.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-sinkers/345490.aspx

With this type of weight and a rubber peg, constant pressure should allow the line to slip the weight if it becomes snagged.

I might of had my weight to close to the sinker, good tip. And, those hooks do look really handy.

the old smallie equation this time of year is still one I am learning myself. Tough to find and deep doesnt make for simple fishing.

As far as your snag and breaking line issues, try heavier test or just go with braid. I honestly only notice a minor difference between fishing braid vs a fluro leader...its probably more a confidence thing anyways.

Don't go with straight braid for drop shotting. It's a finesse presentation and unless the water had visibility of less than a few inches, I wouldn't consider braid...probably not even then. Stick to fluoro, make sure it's fresh, and make sure it's not your knots that are the issue.

Don't go with straight braid for drop shotting. It's a finesse presentation and unless the water had visibility of less than a few inches, I wouldn't consider braid...probably not even then. Stick to fluoro, make sure it's fresh, and make sure it's not your knots that are the issue.

thanks, knots where not the issue. I was worried about my rod snapping more then a few times.