Smallie and pickeral report. A first for sure for me

misfish

Been looking at access points on lakes in the kawartha area for the toon. Been google searching for a few weeks. Some places I seen, I think theres a spot I can get on, but the drive without knowing could be a gas chase. Not that it bothers me, but when you know you can hit an area that has access, it can play on ya.So pick a place and the plan is up at 4am and on the road.

With the youngest grandaughter over last night for a surprise sleep over, it was a bit of a challange to get to bed early. I had to play all the Frozen songs on you tube and the gummie bear song like 10 times, before she had enough and decided to lay down. :angel:

4am came quick as I didnt get much sleep thinking about the next days fish. When I fish local here, it just get up and go at a leasure pace. ( not sure my buddy feels the same today ) :whistling:

As Im preping the toon and getting my gear all ready at the waters edge, I can hear fish slashing and surfacing. I couldnt see anything as it was still dark, I couldnt wait to get out there and get fishing.

I was on the water by 5:30 and decided to stick close to the shore and work it til daylight was upon me.

Already knowing the fish were active top water, . I started throwing a top water.Where I heard a splash, I threw in that direction It didnt take more then the first cast to get the first fish on. All i heard was splash and the line was tight. Get it to the toon and it,s going under me. Man what the heck. Grab the net, direct it to the splashing and in it goes. Nice small mouth. Use the light to do a quick measure and it,s 20". Not remembering what our team entry was, I took a pick. Lens was fogged over. :huh:

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20002_zpslexhva01.j

Released and starting casting again. The fish surfacing was unreal. 3 casts later and it,s on again. This time I have a bit of a battle on my hands. Once again, get the fish to the toon, it,s jumpimg,diving and as like before, just put the net out and direct it to the splashing.

A nice 23" smallie. This fish was long.

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20003_zpstn862n4q.j

As it starts to get a bit lighter out,,I decide to move along just flipping away. Throw the top water out again and troll with it. Twitching it the odd time. I get this tug on the line. No splash like the other two fish. It,s a good fighter. As I get it to the toon, Im thinking what the hell is it. Holy crappola. Top water pickeral. Thats a first for me. :clapping:

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20004_zpsrcdwvey2.j

What a start to the morning. As it got lighter, the top water seem to end. The bite that is. There were still some fish surfacing, but nothing taking.

So switch up to a grub and jig. Well wouldnt you know it, that worked for me today as well.

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20011_zpsmdj0yj0g.j

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20013_zps8srofhmp.j

Even this little guy

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20012_zps2kxt6itv.j

I lost a real brute of a pickeral right at the net. It broke me off. It was huge. All fish were out of the slot size for keeping this morning. Thats probly cuz I brought ice packs to bring a couple home for dinner. Maybe next time I,ll bring the frying pan and have a shore lunch. :tease:

Cant wait to head up there again. What a blast. When I was done, the count was 5 eyes and 6 smallies. Not bad for a guy just flipping around on a toon and only cover 20% of the water. The oars never touched the water this morning btw. I flipped for 7 hours. Yup, on the water at 5:30 and off at 12:30.

I also had to check on my fuel usage on the Ram. Clicked on it and I was like oh ya. Im liking this. The Ram is serving me well on the pocket book.

aug%2029%2015%20eyes%20014_zpsqsnjldae.j

Time for a nap. :sleeping_02: Im sure my buddy is already. :whistling:

Thanks for reading

Edited by Brian B

Awesome report brian!!!!

Darn a 23" smallie thats crazy!!! My pb wasnt that long and weighed 6.25lbs. Any guess on yours?

And yes, that first topwater walleye is always a real treat!

Up my way, near spawn or fall at the shiner run, evening and mornings thats how I fish them, right up on shore too!

Your realy making me wanna buy a toon man.

Just looks like too much fun!

Miigwich for the report Brian!