M N R Reporting Error??

Photoz

This has gotta be a first for MY books . . . closed season in Ontario for perch??

PRE-SEASON PERCH FISHING

CORNWALL - Eight Cornwall residents were fined a total of $2,464 for catching yellow perch during the closed season and angling without a licence.

Robert Murrell, 34, was convicted of possession of yellow perch during the closed season and fined $182. He was also convicted of angling without a licence and received a suspended sentence.

Gerald Thurston, 41, was convicted of possession of yellow perch during the closed season and fined $182.

Michael Gaucher, 36, and Carole Boucher, 36, were convicted of possession of eight yellow perch during the closed season and fined $50 each.

Roger Snider, 43, was convicted of possession of seven yellow perch during the closed season and fined $350.

Charles Lacombe, 56, was convicted of possession of 12 yellow perch during the closed season and fined $400.

Robert Fourney, 40, was convicted of possession of 17 yellow perch during the closed season and fined $500.

Chris Lascelle, 22, was convicted of possession of 11 yellow perch during the closed season and angling without a licence, and was fined $750 for both offences. Lascelle is prohibited from fishing for two years and forfeited all his fishing gear to the Crown. He was previously convicted on July 17, 2006 in Alexandria Provincial Court for angling without a licence.

Anyone else aware of this law . . . I don't have my old 2005/2006/2007 regs book any more?

Did a little reading and here is what I found.......

Lancaster and Charlottenburgh Townships and the City of Cornwall except for those waters of the St. Lawrence River (Lake St. Lawrence) west of the dam at the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station.

Yellow perch closed from April.1 - Fri. before 2nd Sat. in May.

Who knew??

bly

Did a little reading and here is what I found.......

Lancaster and Charlottenburgh Townships and the City of Cornwall except for those waters of the St. Lawrence River (Lake St. Lawrence) west of the dam at the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station.

Yellow perch closed from April.1 - Fri. before 2nd Sat. in May.

Who knew??

bly

Very good researching bly!!!... I'd also have to add that any lake that was closed completely would be included as well. Like the Kawarthas in winter...

Jeez...can the wording be more complicated?

Cant fish 2 steps to the right of the bridge, UNLESS you wear size 13 shoe, on even numbered days in alternating months beginning in March of this year through to the last moon phase in November, except in a leap year. See exceptions for leap year.

Jeez...can the wording be more complicated?

Cant fish 2 steps to the right of the bridge, UNLESS you wear size 13 shoe, on even numbered days in alternating months beginning in March of this year through to the last moon phase in November, except in a leap year. See exceptions for leap year.

LOL, Cliff, I think you are qualified to write the regs for MNR, you have the gift they've been looking for.

Wow thats a new one for me too!

Think its time they simplified the laws, when expierenced anglers don't know you have a problem

I and many couldn't agree more!

Too many exceptions and tight little areas where the exceptions cover. Way too confusing. Just set one set of rules for each geographic area and be done with it. If the rules need to be tight then so be it. I'd rather it be easy to understand and less to read. So if a broader area must be included in more specific rules then just do so, the fish will probably be better off anyway.

Just make the whole damn reg book easier to understand, I don't need a brain hemorrhage :stretcher: every time I open the cover!

Thats ok ...when I got charged (about 15 years ago) and the regs were OPEN on my front seat to the correct page ... and I had read them less than an hour before... and I had just called the MNR office (less than 48 hrs previously) because I saw a bunch of fishermen there and thought it was a sanctuary ... who told me it was okay to fish where I was ... but failed to mention that it was going to become a sanctuary as of the second saturday in August... dont ask for coordinates because its a secret :)

Anyhow its getting too complicated even for me :)

Chris Lascelle, 22, was convicted of possession of 11 yellow perch during the closed season and angling without a licence, and was fined $750 for both offences. Lascelle is prohibited from fishing for two years and forfeited all his fishing gear to the Crown. He was previously convicted on July 17, 2006 in Alexandria Provincial Court for angling without a licence.

I wonder if they took this bonehead's gear the first time as well.

And what does the Crown due with seized gear?