Minn kota motor troubles

pike slayer

I just bought a used minn kota bow mount trolling motor. Ive never had one before and only had transom mount minn kotas. The new to me motor has a 3 prunge plug. Can I just cut it off and hook it up like a regular cheap minn kota with wing nuts to the battery?

I just bought a used minn kota bow mount trolling motor. Ive never had one before and only had transom mount minn kotas. The new to me motor has a 3 prunge plug. Can I just cut it off and hook it up like a regular cheap minn kota with wing nuts to the battery?

Can you post some pics of your bow set up? Maybe some can help with a plug in set up for you.

You can buy these . I used them when I installed my bow motor, on the tin boat. You can get these in a mini size.

51uxfTeQhfL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Brian B

I installed a three prong plug and receptacle on my boat for a few reasons. I wanted to be able to remove the TM from the boat easily and have a quick disconnect in case of a surge.

I also have a Terrova (election if steer with Ipilot means GPS enabled) and the instructions state never to charge batteries with the TM connected as it can cause issues.

To answer your question, yes you can but you may want to look at the benefits first before deciding to go that route.

If you wanna keep it simple..do what you said in your first post. Sure it takes 15 seconds to unscrew a wingnut to disconnect the + before charging, but it'll also save you $30 which you can spend on lures ;)

I have had a bow mount for years with the set-up you are suggesting and not a single issue. Just remember to disconnect the + when you are done fishing for the day, because some motors will still draw on the battery even when not deployed.

Good advice here Dangler. I have the 3 prong male Minnkota plug on my troller. I also mounted the 3 prong female plug to the underside of the small deck which the troller is mounted to. I like the "push in & twist" feature on the plug. I would suggest this method. Works for me!

Yes, you can wire it direct to the battery, but like someone already mentioned, disconnect the motor from the batt when charging.

My MK has been connected to my battery for as long as I've had the battery. Why disconnect it? I've never had an issue. I started with the plug, and a breaker, but always had issues with one or the other, so hardwired it all direct to the battery and its been running perfectly for the last 4 years like that.

S.

My MK has been connected to my battery for as long as I've had the battery. Why disconnect it? I've never had an issue. I started with the plug, and a breaker, but always had issues with one or the other, so hardwired it all direct to the battery and its been running perfectly for the last 4 years like that.

S.

The problem is if you decide to test the motor hooked to charger voltage spike can destroy circuit boards

Not wanting to flog a dead horse here - but I unplug mine because I have kids around and don't want them accidentally turning on the motor. Even when done charging it's unplugged till I'm on the water. With me it's just a safety thing. Hell, I might even hit the pedal myself when it's in the garage!

I do the same with my riggers, unplug them when on land. I learned that one the hard way. Don't ask.

Ah come on Ivan - tell us what happened with the riggers! LOL!

We wont laugh, Promise.

Lol ok no animosity here i understand that common sense not really common.

Shane welcome here anytime

yep, all good here. I'd be happy to fish with Ernie anytime :)

See, you two guys got my drift. LOL