Crack in my hull

Bad news... Found a crack in my hull

image_19.jpg

It's a 1998 Lund explorer 1600

Anyone ever have this happen? How did you fix it?

Can a good aluminium welder just run a bead down the crack?

I don't even know where to start with this one

It's way above the waterline... The rivet in the pick is for structural support on my deck...

Inside the boat the crack is concealed by aluminium deck material...

Please help

Thanks

Mike

Mike this can be fixed by a competent welder. A small hole drilled at the ends of the crack and a TIG weld will make it good as new. The concern I have is why did it crack and is the stress factor still present. The deck needs added support to prevent future stress cracks.

Art

Mike this can be fixed by a competent welder. A small hole drilled at the ends of the crack and a TIG weld will make it good as new. The concern I have is why did it crack and is the stress factor still present. The deck needs added support to prevent future stress cracks.

Art

I think I'm just hard on my boat art... It's 17 years old I beat the snot out of it in the chop... So I may need to take it easy when I'm driving in chop...

The boat flexes a lot and I think the deck has created a point on both sides... So the boat flexes around that point and caused the crack...

I'm sorry to hear that Mike. Yes I was told a good aluminum welder may repair a smaller crack from the outside. I had a stem to stern and port to starboard crack in a Lund I bought used from a dealer 2 days after I bought it. They reimbursed me fully. Doesn't a Lund have a lifetime warranty on their hulls? I would check with Lund before doing anything that may void any warranty.

A close friend taught welding at Mohawk College in Hamilton. He said Aluminum is the hardest metal to weld properly.
It is a separate ticket if I remember right.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yup it is the nature of the beast being aluminum we tend to ride them hard. I have some good scars on the bottom of my jet boat from pushing rapids on the river. Now the fiberglass boat it very rarely even bumped on a dock .... go figure. lol

Art

Proper repair would be to cut out the crack and install an aluminum doubler on top or inside for a flush repair. This would require access to both sides. If welded it will just crack again because of the stress at the rivet.

Remember, when you weld aluminum it then has half the original strength it once had.... unless you re-heat treat it.

Lifetime warrantee, I've never bothered to read mine other than I know my '07 was transferable. Not sure a '98 would be and if it was I believe the "trail of ownership" has to be registered with Lund as it happens. Worth the call to find out.

You have a better overall picture of where this is on the boat Mike? As others have noted it needs more support or more rivets. Looks like they're asking that spot to do too much work.

I'll post more pics later of the location

I don't even think it's the rivet that cause the crack... I just think the revet was the week point were the hull flexes too much

The location is right where my deck ends.... The crack is a little visible inside the boat then it goes a few inches under my deck about 1-2" under the plywood...

So when the hull flexes in waves this is the most "rigid" part of the internal structure... And right beside it is 2-3 feet of unsupported aluminium...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

The good news Mike is your boat design allows a fairly easy access to the underside of the hull. That Pro V I had that had the huge cracks had to have the interior removed to access the hull and that is very expensive. 80 man hours for labour. Someone got a great deal after it was repaired.

So this crack and rivet is on the mating surface to the deck bulkhead flange? Looks like you have full access through that hatch. I can also see the paint appears scuffed as if you scrubbed a dock across this spot. It all adds up to stress and flex and the rivet hole starts the crack as it's already weakened by the hole (and a loose rivet).

I'd stop drill the crack, put a small doubler in between the hull and the bulkhead (to rivet around the crack) and add a few more rivets along the length of the bulkhead flange AND do the other side while I was at it. Must be someone close that can help you do the same.

So this crack and rivet is on the mating surface to the deck bulkhead flange? Looks like you have full access through that hatch. I can also see the paint appears scuffed as if you scrubbed a dock across this spot. It all adds up to stress and flex and the rivet hole starts the crack as it's already weakened by the hole (and a loose rivet).

I'd stop drill the crack, put a small doubler in between the hull and the bulkhead (to rivet around the crack) and add a few more rivets along the length of the bulkhead flange AND do the other side while I was at it. Must be someone close that can help you do the same.

Don't forget a generous amount of skiaflex or 3m 5200 between the hull and doubler.

Should be a pretty easy fix.

The doubler is to hold the cracked area together so it doesn't spread. The extra rivets are to take care of the "working" that area is seeing (although you did hit a dock by the scuff marks).... and I said nothing about welding it, other than it will have 1/2 the strength of original when you're done.

Your boat, your choice how to proceed.

The doubler is to hold the cracked area together so it doesn't spread. The extra rivets are to take care of the "working" that area is seeing (although you did hit a dock by the scuff marks).... and I said nothing about welding it, other than it will have 1/2 the strength of original when you're done.

Your boat, your choice how to proceed.

Oh ok

Thanks...