Insurance tip (NF but save $ maybe)

Rod Caster

I bank through a credit union and CUMIS insurance just sent me a letter so I called them for a quote and my home insurance quote was half of the current! Switched right away and saved $800.

If you bank with a Credit Union, give them a call for a quote. I bet many will save...and you can spend the money on buffs or trips to Onoman River Resort :)

1-800-810-2847

I have zero affiliation with these guys, just trying to pass on savings to the good members here.

Not for nothing, but usually if you bundle auto and home you save quite a bit. So just saving on your home insurance with one company it might drive your auto insurance rates up. Ontarians already pay the highest auto insurance rates in North America thanks to the profit fixing arrangement the insurance companies enjoy here. This explains how we have been scammed for years here.

https://www.otla.com/index.cfm?pg=Lazar-Prisman-Report

The best thing to do is every year at renewal to use a couple of web engines to compare the rates that are out there. Then call a broker or 2 and have them run down what it costs for what you need with them.

Since I have been doing that I find a difference of about 600.00 a year from the highest to the lowest. I also tell my current broker, I have no loyalty so keep the pencil sharp anything for 40.00 a less a YEAR is worth switching companies and brokers to me.

I have NEVER made a claim of any kind in over 25 yrs so it just a very necessary, but evil waste of cash to me. The funny thing is my broker has always found the cheapest rate for me usually by about 50.00 a year... but he knows I check too.

Some engines to give you idea if you are overpaying

https://www.insurancehotline.com/life-insurance-quotes/

https://www.kanetix.ca/car-insurance-quotes-generic-plp?gclid=CL-ct62HtsYCFQkIaQodLYYMqA

http://promo.belairdirect.com/en/car-insurance-quote-2.php?mid=711&organization_source=TARGETMARKETWBSE5317GG&kw=insurance%20rate

I also have no affiliation with any insurance company or affection for any of them either for that matter.

I have a company vehicle and my wifes car is paid off so PLD only, and a very decent rate. Plus my driver record is, how you say, not very pretty in their eyes (3 smallest speeding tickets possible) so because I live in the same house as her, they will not touch my other car, even if I sign off saying I WON"T TOUCH IT!

I don't like using brokers. They are often limited to the major brands and they omit/don't openly offer group discounts. Just an extra layer of 'convenience' and waste of money, like real estate agents imo. I prefer calling insurance companies directly that are seeking clients... like CUMIS was with their flyer.

I used a broker this January for the first time ever, and so far I've cancelled two policies because I found cheaper on my own.

I dealt with the same company for over 30 years and they always treated me well but I know I was paying a higher rate than if I had shopped around. For me it was the comfort of knowing that if I did have a problem they would take care of it.

Last year we made a switch to another company (an OFC members wife and long time and very trusted friend) Our rates have dropped by almost 30% from what we were paying and we have far more comprehensive coverage than we did have.

For me it's all about security, I want to know that if or when I do need coverage it will be there for me. I have heard some prety sad stories about perple that had discount insurance rates and were really happy; until they tried to file a claim.

Based on experience (work), State Farm is a great company to deal with (by comparison) if you have a claim.

Some people like to be well insured, others are comfortable otherwise. For me, I have a 2,500 deductible on my house and I told them to shove earthquake insurance and identity theft back up their hard drive. For those who like discount insurance and understand the risks and are part of a Credit Union might be pleasantly surprised with CUMIS.

Basic vs. basic. 1 mil full coverage on house/contents. 2 Mil liability, 2,500 deductible. No water coverage. Both were essentially the same coverages.

The difference is that CUMIS wants clients that are members of a credit union, and the other insurance company, I requested their services.

No sewer backup or flooding coverage. I declined it.

I am not connected to any city service and I don't have a sump because I don't need one. The only problem I could have is if the plumbing or an appliance goes on me. I'm willing to take that risk. Well landscaped and drained property is something to appreciate.

Basic vs. basic. 1 mil full coverage on house/contents. 2 Mil liability, 2,500 deductible. No water coverage. Both were essentially the same coverages.

The difference is that CUMIS wants clients that are members of a credit union, and the other insurance company, I requested their services.

With those deductibles in my home town you wouldn't even be paying 800.00 a year much save that LOL.

removing water coverage removes over 50% of the risk to the insurance company.

as such, your price should reduce similarly.

increasing property deductibles do not save you as much, as there isn't a frequency of loss with property.

auto deductible increases do save money however.

No sewer backup or flooding coverage. I declined it.

I am not connected to any city service and I don't have a sump because I don't need one. The only problem I could have is if the plumbing or an appliance goes on me. I'm willing to take that risk. Well landscaped and drained property is something to appreciate.

Similar situation from the sound of it, raised bungalow, own septic system, no sump pump needed. Hot water tank decided to spring a leak, $28,000.00 in damages and some items that can't be replaced (books that my mother-in-law had written messages in to my wife), an original oil painting from a very dear friend..... gone. Those can't be replaced but without insurance I couldn't have afforded to repair the basement.

Ya Steve, I'm essentially half from before, so $880. Mind you, prior to January I was at around $1,200 total until I switched companies due to me being annoyed with them for trying to cancel my auto policy (although they technically were in full right to do so). I left behind a group discount, for a broker, and now I'm back to a group discount.

I'm glad it worked out for you Cliff. I can understand why you like knowing that the coverage is available after that!!

I'm ok assuming the risk. I don't have a hot water tank, but one thing I should install (or see if I have) is a shut of switch if I lose pressure in my lines.

Since then I have installed a water monitor alarm that I bought at Home Hardware (about $250.00 if I remember correctly). If it sences water in the basement (where the sensor is placed and naturally I put that in the lowest spot on the floor) it sounds an alarm in the house and then actually calls my cell phone to let me know there is a problem. Just found out that my insurance company even gives me a discount because of it too.