Purchasing First Boat

I'm surprised you take a 14 tinny into the Niagara. Upper or lower it doesn't matter. I know I won't take my 19 footer in that river.

You can get a lot of used boat for 5K. There's a 4Winns, out here 28 foot, 5.7lt Mercruiser, new tops and windows, new outdrive and Gymbal bearing, all new boots, new steering cable, new batteries X4, new hydraulic pump, new this and that. $4500.00. Great shape for a 89. Heck you would think I'm selling it, I'm not. You won't be towing this around. My point is for 5K there's a lot of boats out there slightly used.

I've fished in both the upper and lower rivers in a 12' with a 9.8 merc and never felt in any danger. Drove a 12' car topper with a 4 horse from Notl to queenston Edited by Bondar

Bondar, good for you, we used to run the rapids in a 12 footer on the Ottawa River. That was 30 years ago. I"m too old too tired too sore and too experienced now to do the things I used to do. Have fun and call me in 30 years, actually don't bother I will have been dead because of boredom.

I have to agree with an earlier post and go with a new one if finances allow for it. It will hold value and come with warranty which will give you peace of mind. This being your first boat and $5000 is your budget do you really want a project? I too am in the market and toyed with both options. Looking on the want ads and seeing what people are asking for their boats and the age of the equipment my hard earned money will better serve me with a new one. Some of the prices are way out there. and what is affordable is either a project or in some cases junk. And that's only for starters, what about the motor that doesn't come with warranty and according to 85% of the ads " well maintained" or " runs great"

Just my opinion.

Just because it's a used boat sold privately does not mean there can't be a written warranty. If someone says it runs great and doesn't leak write that into the sales agreement. Not everything sold privately has to be as is. Make them put their money where their mouth is. If you say great I will buy it, just guarantee the 9.9 for 30 days and a 30 day leak warranty. Take pics of the hull before to prove you didn't smash it against the rocks. As for the 9.9 or whatever if you don't have the expertise take someone with you that does to do a compression test. Once shown a 10 year old can do a compression test , check those plugs and listen for bearing knock. I have looked at boats and the owner would not run it in the driveway on the rabbit ears with a dozen excuses, or looked at me like I had 2 heads when I said if you guarantee it write it down. One guy actually said if it's a private sale you can't have a warranty. I have probably brokered 30 boat sales in the last 8 years. No warranty or a real deal after all due diligence see ya buddy, simple as that.

Oh if Revenue Canada is reading this, I do people favors and they give me birthday and Christmas gifts.

there arent any places in ontario a 14-16' tinner can't handle if you're smart about the weather. my 14.5' / 40 hp combo has seen lake ontario, georgian bay and all puddles in between.

a 20+' glass goliath with a fuel sucking inboard is the last boat i'd recommend to someone looking for their 1st.

WORD!!!!!

You can buy a whole lot of tin boat for $5K

I grew up on a 14 footer so that's what I'm comfortable with.

That says a lot right there; buy what you feel comfortable with. Think of the gadgets your dad's boat doesn't have and you would like. Things like a little more HP, power trim/tilt, proper nav lighting, so you can (legally) stay out after sun down; even something simple as a bilge pump? All the things that will make your day out more enjoyable for you. 5K for boat, motor and trailer, will likely put you into a basic bare bones new boat; 5K used and you'd likely have money left over for some toys?

Dan.

Something I want to mention when buying new or used depending on what comes with the boat or what you can get thrown into the deal by the seller is the cost of a few accessories. With a blink of an eye you will spend $1000.00. Entry level GPS combo, a few fenders, 50 feet of rope and an anchor, a hand held VHF radio, a few good quality like vests or PFD's, a cheap safety kit, an oar, what else, a new gas tank and hose ( I almost had a heart attach when I bought these 2 items last year for my new kicker) that's a base package for must haves I think. You are over $1000.00. On a $5000.00 tinny that's 20% of your boat price.