Before/After :( David Dunlap Observatory

Joey

This is the difference from last year to this year at the David Dunlap Observatory. A very sad scene at one of my favorite photography grounds. I felt like crying :(

You can read up about the battle Richmond Hill had to try and save the forest, but it was all for not :(

Wonder where the deer and coyotes will go, and also wonder how they can do this when migratory birds are laying eggs. There is a law that protects them at certain times of the year, but it seems this company (who shall not be named) is immune to this law.

13279704663_baa96bf8bb_b.jpgIMG_5247 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

13279906974_c10b8882e3_b.jpgIMG_5181 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

13279572235_5a5036f573_b.jpgIMG_5059 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

18655208138_3be4abe762_b.jpgIMG_9557 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

18845656311_7a9a9d4efc_b.jpgIMG_9564 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

18816699716_3d605dd51e_b.jpgIMG_9569 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

I'm sure they'll find a spot on the greenbelt protected land Joey :sarcasm:

Similar situation where I live, except its a gravel quarry on an aquifer for the Grand and its tribs. Prime farm land in this case as well. A small group has been fighting it for 3 years now, but the bucks of the local population (those who care, of which there are disappointingly few) just cant compete. :wallbash:

Next year it'll be raccoons touring the landscape

Yep the sprawl never stops, as a machine operator i have poured foundations on what used to be an old stomping ground where i used to go off roading and partying and having fun. A pretty sombre day in my life for sure.

It hurts to watch the places you love disappear.

These companies dont play games a lot of them bought farm properties 10-15-20 years ago for well above market value than allow the farmers to stay until the timing is right than boot them out and slam down a subdivision faster than your head can spin.

Its all legal so nothing can be done in most cases however, areas like this should be left alone but the mighty dollar wins every time.

devil's advocate. How many moaned for small towns when 11 and 69 were widened. Trout Creek, South River, Emsdale and Kearney are now bypassed meaning no one makes spontaneous stops in those towns. If I had property in the Kawartha's, I'd be on the 407 to the 35/115.

re: the observatory. There was a nasty fight to preserve it and the RASC-Toronto ended up being the ones who came up with a plan when it's future seemed sealed. The Defenders and Richmond Hill Naturalists didn't have any concrete plans other than empty words and bluster to put forward as to how to save the lands. Last time I was up there, I was shocked as well to see all the trees gone. However imo, people should have been fighting for green space when RH was nothing but farmland.

Edited by woodenboater

Too bad, I was there once on a Dendrology field trip while going to University of Toronto, probably was 1969. We were there for the many and diverse trees and plants , but we got a tour of the inside, really cool. Couple years years later , another field trip, probably for some logging class, we spent several days in the NE corner of Algonquin, we got to visit the big radio astronomy telescope/dish and array of smaller dishes there, also pretty cool.

Joey, those are some beautiful pictures, what is happening to this planet/country is very sad indeed!

I don't know what the answer is? I just heard we are bringing in another 285,000 refugees again this year, where are they all going to live?

Everyday I drive through this area and I see development after development of new homes where fields and bush used to be and it's still not enough! Look at the prices of homes these days, waterfront properties are going up about twice as fast as anything else because they just aren't making any more of them!