Walleye and cabbage

slidehammer

Been targeting walleye in the weeds since the opener on the tri-lakes in the kawarthas. All the walleye that were caught (maybe 10) have been in milfoil and coontail or a mix of both. using mostly bucktails, and twister tails, with a side order of crankbait.

The type of weeds that have not produced is the cabbage patch. Nothing. They look so promising whenever fishing them, but then only disappointment. Don't think I ever caught one from cabbage.

Is this unusual or is there a trick to fishing cabbage?

I do well with cabbage as well. I find it is healthiest in spring and is starts to die off as the weather warms up. In spring it's the only weed up high. I saw some this weekend dying off. They need to be healthy to produce oxygen. Same lures as you listed. Try fishing not so tight to the cabbage. Start tight then move out. Even as far as 50 ft away.

Edited by manjo39

Cabbage is a great weed, and holds up till at least late September, I think Manjo is likely referring to Pond Weed, which is the start up weed in the spring and is starting to die off the past week, both weeds hold walleye, and actually when the pond weed starts to die, it usually forces walleyes to the remaining live pondweed, and actually bunches or concentrates them on the remaining green weed, Shad raps and jigs, on the edge in early low lite hours, and then jigs bucktails in the heavy stuff once the sun appears, the walleyes will tell you whether they want the jig ripped, or subtle

Caught several in cabbage last week. Only small tail biters in the milfoil/coontail. We always focus on cabbage weeds when targeting Walleye. Generally you target the edges or over top of it though, not right in the thick of it. Although, you can rip bucktail jigs through it, but I haven't done too much of that type of fishing.

Edited by adempsey

Cabbage would be more important in a Halliburton or Muskoka type lake were any weed is good.

Tri Lakes has acres and acres of milfoil, coon tail and pond weed so cabbage is just not that important. Still needs to be checked and if you did find wally there it likely won't last to long.

I fully agree you should add a spinnerbait to your Kawarthas walleye program.

BUT the screamers will accuse you of fishing bass out of season. Especially in you have a fibre glass bass boat.

. Yes for sure I got a decent eye last year on a 3/8oz clown color terminator spinnerbait about 2 weeks before bass opener last year I was slow rolling a weed flat for walleyes and a guy at the launch thought I was musky fishing !!! Lol he seen my bait on my rod & asked how was the musky fishing I told him I was walleye fishing .... Also the smaller rocket shad spinnerbaits will take eyes too !!!! Not many use them ... Even a road runner jig with a power minnow over a weed flat & let the small spinnerbait fall into to pockets will nail a few !!!!!