Toronto angler needs our support

Dave Bailey

Some of you may be aware of the annual event held at the Scadding Court Community Centre in Toronto. Each year, the centre's swimming pool is temporarily turned into a fishing pond, and the event is a big hit with the local children. Here's a news article about it:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1392257/toronto-swimming-pool-set-to-become-a-fishing-hole-for-local-children/

Well, some animal rights activist has started a petition to prevent it:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1393467/animal-rights-activists-outraged-by-indoor-fishing-event-in-toronto/

I have already sent the organiser, Mr. Kevin Lee, an e-mail expressing my support for him, if anyone else wishes to stand up for fishing, you may contact him at: [email protected]

My letter:

Mr. Lee, I have heard about the attempts to prevent you from holding your annual fishing event, and I wish to let you know that you have my full support. I live in Pickering, so I'm not really able to offer assistance, but might I suggest that to counter the petition, started by Lucas Solowey, that you start a petition yourself. I feel certain that, given the support the event has received over the years, you will be able to gain more signatures, in less time, than he will.

I will be attempting to drum up some support for you on a number of fishing related web sites, and wish you every success with the event
Edited by Dave Bailey

For every action there is a reaction and some of these people take it too far. This is about kids who never leave the city and experience the outdoors. I was one of them :( until I met friends who did teach me and I loved it. having read the story they object the "pool" idea, I may be wrong.

They used/do the same thing at the Sportsmen show where you fished a trout 'pond' inside the exhibition and not a word was said and how about the demo tanks where the celebs would hold seminars!

My dad taught me how to grow vegetables and others how to catch fish!

Apparently a 'compromise' was reached, but I don't think it's satisfactory. One pool will have fish, so people can see them, and another will have toy fish for catching. Here's a report from Global News, which presents the animal rights position with no critical analysis whatsoever. http://globalnews.ca/video/2052314/let-them-fish-compromise-reached-between-animal-rights-activists-and-indoor-fishing-program

These people will never stop they threaten the very lifestyle that most of us here enjoy.

What ever happened to minding your own damn business? I guarantee every single one of these "activists" does something that would upset most of us but you dont see us cramming our ideals down their throats!

Im starting to think i might mount a fish replica on the front of my ranger and a fake moose head on the back...good conversation starter?

“Taking them out of their natural environment is quite startling to them,” said Solowey, who is the interim general manager of the Toronto Vegetarian Association.

No, they are farm trout. The same fish most "vegetarians" already think are ok to eat.

I really hope there wasn't a compromise either. What does that teach the children then? Whine enough and you'll get everyone else to cave in to you?

Some of you may be aware of the annual event held at the Scadding Court Community Centre in Toronto. Each year, the centre's swimming pool is temporarily turned into a fishing pond, and the event is a big hit with the local children. Here's a news article about it:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1392257/toronto-swimming-pool-set-to-become-a-fishing-hole-for-local-children/

Well, some animal rights activist has started a petition to prevent it:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1393467/animal-rights-activists-outraged-by-indoor-fishing-event-in-toronto/

I have already sent the organiser, Mr. Kevin Lee, an e-mail expressing my support for him, if anyone else wishes to stand up for fishing, you may contact him at: [email protected]

My letter:

Mr. Lee, I have heard about the attempts to prevent you from holding your annual fishing event, and I wish to let you know that you have my full support. I live in Pickering, so I'm not really able to offer assistance, but might I suggest that to counter the petition, started by Lucas Solowey, that you start a petition yourself. I feel certain that, given the support the event has received over the years, you will be able to gain more signatures, in less time, than he will.

I will be attempting to drum up some support for you on a number of fishing related web sites, and wish you every success with the event

I've also sent an email supporting this event. It is disheartening what this country is becoming.

Email sent if anyone gets a reply and finds out where I can put a $20 in an envelope to support the next event please post.

If anyone from the local fishing clubs wants to sponsor or participate that would be good too I bet, imagine a kid tying a fly and catching his first fish ever on it...PRICELESS!

Edited by mosquito