Pike in Scugog

FloatnFly

Pike in Scugog  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Are they there?

• Yes, I have caught one and have a picture
    • Yes
    • No

This has been a debate on other forums, is there pike in Lake Scugog, I have a very reliable source, who between him and brother, have a combined 60 years experience fishing the lake in all seasons, who says absolutely no pike in scugog, just musky and tiger musky.

Thoughts?

There are muskies with very distict striped patterns in Scugog, which may confuse some anglers, but I seriously doubt there are any tigers in there yet. I've caught 15 tigers myself and am quite familiar with the differences. Between Andrew (Lunkerhunter) myself and a few other hardcore muskie guys we know we have caught a ton of muskies from there, and have never caught or even heard of a tiger in there. Old Ironmaker - do you have any pictures we could see?

Here's a few Scugog fish...

76e3094b-04c9-4d66-85da-b7581611b73d_zps

223bf8fc-dec2-4eb9-bf4e-df3b544c22e5_zps

And a true tiger:

0a8cb77e-3035-4c28-81a1-100f272d893a_zps

Edited by Fisherpete

I have pictures and I still have the fish hanging on the wall in my kitchen. This was before C&R became the norm. I did the mount because I caught it on 8 lb. mono on a Ieaderless Black Fury looking for Walters. I always thought it was a Musky until a very knowledgeable Musky guy told me it was a Tiger. Danny Columby told me some things to look for of which I can't remember and the thing looks to be a Tiger based on those features. I can take a few pics and email to you if you PM me the address Pete. The colours are very accurate to the original fish, it was done by an award winning taxidermist in Hamilton, Joe Martin in 79' or so. It looks as fresh as the day it was caught. All I do is dust it off with a damp cloth once a year, maybe. I wonder if Joe is still with us, he would be in his 80;s now I think, great guy. Up to the last few years I always thought it was a Musky.

I have pictures and I still have the fish hanging on the wall in my kitchen. This was before C&R became the norm. I did the mount because I caught it on 8 lb. mono on a Ieaderless Black Fury looking for Walters. I always thought it was a Musky until a very knowledgeable Musky guy told me it was a Tiger. Danny Columby told me some things to look for of which I can't remember and the thing looks to be a Tiger based on those features. I can take a few pics and email to you if you PM me the address Pete. The colours are very accurate to the original fish, it was done by an award winning taxidermist in Hamilton, Joe Martin in 79' or so. It looks as fresh as the day it was caught. All I do is dust it off with a damp cloth once a year, maybe. I wonder if Joe is still with us, he would be in his 80;s now I think, great guy. Up to the last few years I always thought it was a Musky.

How you can tell the difference is beyond me. I've only seen 3 in my life and 2 I caught, Danny caught the other.

To "Old Ironmaker"

The easy to see differences between a Muskie and Pike are as follows. The caudel and paired fins of a Muskie are pointed whereas the same fins on a Hybrid and Pike are more rounded. Also the pores on the underside of a Muskies jaw will number between 7 and 9 and a Hybrid or Pike will not be more than 5. For possession limits, a Hybrid is considered a Muskie.

There is also a possibility of a Hybrid migrating into the Kawartha's from Lake Simcoe

Hope this helps and I really hope there are no Pike in Scugog.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

What's the old adage....."you're never too old to learn and you learn something new everyday"

I had forgotten about that program and stand corrected.

The stocking was natural Muskies and no Hybrids.

There may be some of that original gene pool still in todays fish, but the Kawartha Muskie are a genetically different species than others in the province and this is one of the reasons why they seem to be sort of defenceless against Northern Pike. They have never had to compete with another top predator until recently. (last 20 or 30 years)

Not really answering your poll questions though.....LOL

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

musky and pike can co exist, they do in Georgian bay, but they live at different depths, so it works, in the kawarthas they share the same habitat, and since pike spawn sooner, the pike fry eat the musky fry, thus eliminating the population through lack of fry.

I agree with whoever said you can't use a mount to distinguish between a muskie and a tiger. Fins can be trimmed incorrectly and the fish can be painted in any pattern. ( I have also won awards at taxidermy shows)

Scugog muskie are definitely more heavily barred than the other lakes, giving people the impression that they are a tiger.

Someone would have had to put the pike into Scugog if there are any. Sturgeon would have to be full of them before any reached Scugog and moved upstream through the lock system.

This rumour has been going around for quite some time. Time enough for a decent population to be established to confirm their existence.

If I send a pic of a mount I don't see anything positive coming of it.

If it's a legal fish, why not post it John.

I had my 1st musky mounted more than 40 years ago, still have it hanging in the garage, and have posted the pic on here a few times over the years.