4 reasons why feeding ducks bread is stupid!

Gerritt

interesting read thanks for sharing

The one point that stood out the most for me was #2, as a kid I wold feed the ducks/ducklings at my cottage when we had one in Quebec. They became so use to me that they would eat right out of my hand(s)

What gets me, is the folks that feel the need to feed them when the lakes are freezing up. Then they become dependent and freeze to death from the cold. There,s a reason why they fly south.

Good read G. Thanks

Edited by Brian B

Not a very well written piece, though:

"Besides nutritional problems, Carr said overuse of bread can lead to specific diseases that can become problematic in any pond.

Carr said when fecal material goes into the pond, it's a source of botulism bacteria that can spread among the ducks.

"It can wipe out an entire waterfowl colony," Carr said."

Come again?? Is there poop on bread?? Do ducks get out of the water to poop??

I feed them cracked corn here on the Notty. (They are definitely NOT getting any of my earthworms----listed as a good food option! :o )

Link doesn't come through on my machine. We live on the lakefront. The Ducks and Geese here will not eat anything thrown out to them. The first thing everyone did when they came out was go down to the beach if the birds were in and throw food at them, no takers here. Too wild? I really don't know, maybe someone knows why our waterfowl doesn't eat Pizza and fries, bread either.