Looking at a boat - need opinions.

HTHM

Link didnt work Albert, grimsby the 2.5 efi's/carbed, if you examined mercs warranty records would likely rank as the best v6 they have ever made.I have a 1994 2.5 150 mariner supermag that revs to 6750rpm and a spare carbed 2.5 that will spin alot higher, they are the timex watches of engines.

Good to know Hirk. Ive had it in the back of my mind that it was only a matter of time before it detonates. Still could happen, but it really does run great. I just put a Croxton Laser 3 24P prop on it and can't wait to try it out. Coming from a Trophy 23P 4 blade.

I had know idea the 150's would rev that high! I'm pretty sure my 200 revs to about 5750??

Edited by grimsbylander

Would the transom be able to handle the extra weight?

I'd have to confirm it but I can't see the dry weight of a 1994 2.5L being that much lighter than a newer 3.0L. I'd be going from 200hp to 200hp and the newer motors are lighter. Plus, it's a Ranger, it can take it! Lol

No, it is a 3 hour drive to get to it so i am not going to commit to that drive in my tow vehicle unless I am certain it will be worth while.

I hear ya, but I won't bargain with guys over the net or on the phone with high ticket items either. Cash in person is king every time. Everyone else usually gets written off as a tire kicker.

Good to know Hirk. Ive had it in the back of my mind that it was only a matter of time before it detonates. Still could happen, but it really does run great. I just put a Croxton Laser 3 24P prop on it and can't wait to try it out. Coming from a Trophy 23P 4 blade.

I had know idea the 150's would rev that high! I'm pretty sure my 200 revs to about 5750??

The only thing i would suggest is buying a block off plug and pulling out the oil pump then pre mixing, $14 and 1/2hr in the driveway, just google the how to video. The 2.5 plastic oil injection gear is their achilles heel but 1200 hrs or more is common on them. My 150 supermag is the same as a promax (they rev higher then a reg. efi), the other 150 was built by a formula one marine engine builder so it turns higher r's.

The only thing i would suggest is buying a block off plug and pulling out the oil pump then pre mixing, $14 and 1/2hr in the driveway, just google the how to video. The 2.5 plastic oil injection gear is their achilles heel but 1200 hrs or more is common on them. My 150 supermag is the same as a promax (they rev higher then a reg. efi), the other 150 was built by a formula one marine engine builder so it turns higher r's.

Pm sent.

There was a time the probass circuit was limited to 150 HP, I know it was that way in the 80's and don't know when they went higher. Anyway in those days a lot of 150 motors marketed to the pro's had 150 on the cowl but actually would turn more.

How can you tell the true value of anything sight unseen Albert? That is unless it is ridiculously priced. People put a value on sentiment but it doesn't count. I have the tie my Grandfather wore on his wedding day in 1925, it's priceless to me and worth 10 bucks because it's silk, maybe.

How can you tell the true value of anything sight unseen Albert? That is unless it is ridiculously priced. People put a value on sentiment but it doesn't count. I have the tie my Grandfather wore on his wedding day in 1925, it's priceless to me and worth 10 bucks because it's silk, maybe.

It was ridiculously priced and I got an opinion on value from a very reputable Lund dealer in Hamilton.

remember, that very reputable Lund dealer in Hamilton (who is a good shop) wants you to buy a boat from them...

Didn't want to say anything lol.I would never trust a dealer for anything unless he was family :dunno: .As you say,why would a dealer want to give advice for you to buy private.Hope the OP goes and takes a look at it.

This dealer and i sat in church together last Sunday, he knows what I am looking for and he knows my budget. I am confident that he would give me sound advice, that is how he developed the reputation he has.