Looking at a boat - need opinions.

HTHM

It is a Lund 1775 Tournament Pro V not an IPS hull, with a late 90's vintage Mariner 2 stroke that is north of 100 HP. Side console with bow mount trolling motor.
Has anyone fished this type of hull and if so, what are your thoughts on the boat?
Thanks.

Very nice boat. I've fished out of both console and tiller versions. The tiller versions were usually sold with a 75 hp (which was about as much tiller as you could get at the time) and ran just fine. Console version was rated to 150 hp, if I remember correctly, but ran just great with a 115. With reasonable care, the boats are pretty much bullet-proof. Tons of useful storage space, spacious front deck that's high enough for easy sight fishing, but still low enough you can reach over and lip bass easily. Handles big water well enough to be suitable for offshore Great Lakes trolling, provided you keep a weather eye out.

The old two-stroke Mariners of that age were simple, good, reliable motors. No issues there whatsoever.

If the bow mount electric is a 12-volt model, you will want to upgrade it to a 24-volt. The Pro-V is a reasonably heavy boat for an aluminum, but has high enough gunnels that it can still be blown around a bit in strong winds. The larger electric (24v in 60 - 70 lbs thrust range) is worth the upgrade cost, especially if you fish on larger lakes where you would be more exposed.

Obviously price and condition are givens when you buy a used boat, but the 1775 Pro-V is a great design. One of my all-time favourites, actually.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

That mariner might be a yamaha. Check and see where it was built. If its made in japan, its yammy built. You may be a couple years too late, im not positive. If not yammy, its mercury built.

Great motor regardless.

S.

My buddy runs this boat, 1996 I believe. He's had it for almost 15 years now with no issues. It offers a very smooth ride in rough water, and has been an excellent multi species boat. I've fished out of it quite a bit. Its still in excellent condition, and the hull has held up great even though its seen a lot of poundings on lake Ontario. His is powered by a 150hp, and it moves it along quick. I'd buy one in a second if it was in good shape.

Edited by porkpie

I answered you Albert on the other site. I want to add I also have a 95' 115HP Mercury Mariner on my StarCraft. I don't want to put the kybosh on it but that engine is running mint. I'm not sure how far north of 100HP is but the next engine of that era is 115, which when that prop is matched perfectly is plenty of get up and go. I never run that engine "north" of 4000 RPM, top speed with my heavier 19' is just south of 40 MPH. I don't want to snag a full fishing net that you will not see the top of the floats until it is too late at 30 let alone 40, that would hurt I bet. Other than routine maintenance, which I have been told I overdo, the only issue in 20 years was a Stator replacement that we did, and the alarm that indicates one of the 2 engine alarms was faulty, 80 bucks or so. And it definitely is a Yamaha built exclusively for Merc. I was told the engine block and drive shaft is all Yamaha, Electronics and fuel systems are all Mercury as well as the outdrive. I can get parts at every Merc and some non Merc. dealers our way. I have never had to order a part that wasn't in stock. What else? Mine is oil injected which is great, no more measuring twice and mixing once I'm sure that Mariner is also. The 115 has been used to troll with for almost 20 years until I was lucky enough to match the 115 Mariner with the exact same year 15 horse kicker. My wife said look the big motor had a baby. That 115 can troll down to 1.9 MPH, no problem. If you are going to come out here longlining you have to pick your days like I do in the 19' StarCraft and always play it on the safe side just like everyone here has to including Ted in his 21', little Johnny in his 23' and Louis in his 28' 4 Winns. With te side council you probably have almost as much of a dance floor as my 19 because I have the full windscreen. Buy it and take me out for a fish. You drive I'll give you the GPS coordinates!

Albert im sure as mentioned some people have had no issues with the 115 but from the mouth of a 90's merc territory manager "they are the worst engine we make", the 2+2 in line 4 cyl had issues. If its a 135 then its a 2.0 liter v6, now that is bullet proof and the best between 115-150 ever made by anyone.

Through experience I must strongly disagree with that Manager Hirk. I have a fishing pal that has a earlier (1992) 90 HP Merc Mariner and has had it since new. He has had zero major problemas with her, nada, niema, nienti, nothing. Now watch the jinx kick in.

I don't think knowing a guy with one motor is much of a trend. If I was buying, I'd listen to the manager that dealt with a multitude of motors. If it's the boat I think it is, it's got the 135hp V6 anyway.

It's not, and it does have a 115

Not sure what your point is?

If it's got a 115...I'm suggesting he listen to the someone that has seen more than one motor. Just my opinion but that's what I'd do.

Precisely what I said, the boat i am looking at is not the one you pointed out to me, (thanks by the way, but over budget unfortunately), and the one I am looking at does have the 115 on it.

Precisely what I said, the boat i am looking at is not the one you pointed out to me, (thanks by the way, but over budget unfortunately), and the one I am looking at does have the 115 on it.

Well now you have a decision to make!! Good luck to you. I have a Mariner as well btw, the V6.

200hp EFI 2.5

I'd love to upgrade it to a newer 3 litre but it just keeps on going. Probably a good thing considering the cost of the replacement motor.

Would the transom be able to handle the extra weight?

Link didnt work Albert, grimsby the 2.5 efi's/carbed, if you examined mercs warranty records would likely rank as the best v6 they have ever made.I have a 1994 2.5 150 mariner supermag that revs to 6750rpm and a spare carbed 2.5 that will spin alot higher, they are the timex watches of engines.