Trolling Motor - Minn Kota or MotorGuide (GPS)

hutch4113

So my boat currently has a Minn Kota trolling motor - and because I did not know anything at the time, I went Lowrance (HDS 5) for my GPS and Sonar. I also have a LSS unit that I plan on installing this year.

However - I would really like to get GPS capabilities in my Trolling motor - really like the ability to hold on a spot, etc.

So - should I swap everything to Hummingbird, in case I decide to upgrade my trolling motor?

Or

Am I ok to stick with Lowrance, and by a motorguide unit. I am not really familiar with Motorguide, so no idea how they compare, etc.

The motorguide xi5 looks amazing - possibly better than minn kota Terrova. BUT - it is new so I would wait for a bit to see how they hold up. It is quieter, turns faster and has better spot kick than a Terrova. But is it as reliable?????

I had a terrible experience with Motorguide so when it came time to buy a new TM, I went with MinnKota. The Motorguide was sloppy and it had a few issues. The biggest problem was it was underpowered for my boat.

I have a Terrova now with I pilot and really do enjoy it but do not plan on ever upgrading to Link so that I can follow contour lines.

From my experience, I will never go back to Motorguide but I can't say MinnKota is any better as my foot control broke within a year.

Now, the Xi5 which is like the terrova gets great reviews so I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

Ive used both. IMO the xi5 is much better. Too bad as i have a terrova which i purchased before the xi5 came out and all lowrance products. Obviously the terrova is better suited to humminbird because of link. Just as motorguides gateway function with lowrance.

Not sure on how reliable they will be though. Previously i avoided motorguide. But most ive talked to are really happy with their purchase.

On the other hand minn kotas customer service is great. The few issues i had have been fixed quickly.

Not sure on how reliable they will be though. Previously i avoided motorguide. But most ive talked to are really happy with their purchase.

On the other hand minn kotas customer service is great. The few issues i had have been fixed quickly.

and motorguides customer service is awful

The remote for the Motorguide does not have a view screen on it (unless they've changed it recently). It might not sound like much, but the view screen on the Minn Kota remote is incredibly nice to have. It's so convenient that I will never switch to something without a screen .... no matter the cost.

PS My Humminbird/Terrova combo has been working great for three years now .... absolutely zero issues.

MG%2520Remote.jpg

MK%2520Remote.jpg

Edited by MrSimon

I have the same setup as you, HDS-7 and MK Terrova. I use the Terrova spot lock all the time, great feature I also use the cruise control and the heading function to control the TM from the remote usuaally at the back of the boat when i troll on Lake O, no need to have the integration with the fishfinder, havent used it in fairness, but i dont see a big need. I didnt like the reviews of the motorguide when i bought.

Good luck.

Andrew

I have the same setup as you, HDS-7 and MK Terrova. I use the Terrova spot lock all the time, great feature I also use the cruise control and the heading function to control the TM from the remote usuaally at the back of the boat when i troll on Lake O, no need to have the integration with the fishfinder, havent used it in fairness, but i dont see a big need. I didnt like the reviews of the motorguide when i bought.

Good luck.

Andrew

Ok..I was wondering about that as well. I guess the link feature is for following places on the map. If I can just use the anchor feature - that is probably all I will end up doing.

The I-Pilot 'Link' does a lot more then just follow contours. I can control my Terrova right from my HB without every touching the trolling motor. Go to Waypoint, troll to waypoint, stop at waypoint, make a route, follow a route, etc etc. It's the most useful tool I've got in the boat. I spend more time messing around with that stupid thing then I do fishing (The oldman doesn't appear to complain about this too much :) )

Edited by BillM

I would definatly recomend the XI5. Bought one last year with pin point built in, was amazed at the accrucy of the anchor mode unfortunatly Lowrance did not come out with the interface from XI5 to sonar untill early this year. Have it all set up and working but not been on the water yet!!! now the good part, bought new boat and guess what my XI5 which is a 54" 55LB 12 volt is too short for new boat. old boat was a Lowe 165 pro, realy liked it but wife said to "small". Now have 2015 Lund 186GL So had to buy 60" 70Lb 24Volt XI5 coupled to a gen 3 7" at the helm and a gen 2 7" at the bow . All networked to NMEA 2000 and Ethernet so can do almost anything from either unit including control of XI5. Have played around with it and the technology is amazing. So if you are considering XI5 I have a spare one!!!! :canadian:

I would definatly recomend the XI5. Bought one last year with pin point built in, was amazed at the accrucy of the anchor mode unfortunatly Lowrance did not come out with the interface from XI5 to sonar untill early this year. Have it all set up and working but not been on the water yet!!! now the good part, bought new boat and guess what my XI5 which is a 54" 55LB 12 volt is too short for new boat. old boat was a Lowe 165 pro, realy liked it but wife said to "small". Now have 2015 Lund 186GL So had to buy 60" 70Lb 24Volt XI5 coupled to a gen 3 7" at the helm and a gen 2 7" at the bow . All networked to NMEA 2000 and Ethernet so can do almost anything from either unit including control of XI5. Have played around with it and the technology is amazing. So if you are considering XI5 I have a spare one!!!! :canadian:

Hahahahaha...nice try. But I have a 18.5 foot boat - so need a 70 at least. The one you have will be too short, and not enough power.

So my boat currently has a Minn Kota trolling motor - and because I did not know anything at the time, I went Lowrance (HDS 5) for my GPS and Sonar. I also have a LSS unit that I plan on installing this year.

However - I would really like to get GPS capabilities in my Trolling motor - really like the ability to hold on a spot, etc.

So - should I swap everything to Hummingbird, in case I decide to upgrade my trolling motor?

Or

Am I ok to stick with Lowrance, and by a motorguide unit. I am not really familiar with Motorguide, so no idea how they compare, etc.

You don't mention what MK motor you have but "IF" it's a power drive V-2 and built after 2007 you can update it to a Ipilot for about $450 and it only takes a few minutes to do.

But if you just want spot lock you do not need a Humminbird and Ipiolt "Link" unit as any Ipilot unit will follower you last 6 contour lines and do spot lock at a much less price.

Problem with upgrading your V2 PD unit is that once Link is installed, you lose the foot pedal. I use both on my Terrova at the same time.

Was thinking of the upgrade myself.Is the pedal really that necessary when you have the remote?.Maybe leaving your hands free is a bonus?

Everyone is different, but for me, I use the remote exclusively and NEVER use the foot pedal.

However, I do keep the foot pedal in the boat in case the remote breaks or something. I installed a USB charging port in my boat so I can keep the remote charged up at all times.

I fish a lot of local lakes that are electric motors only .... so that darn remote is the single most important thing in my entire boat.

Was thinking of the upgrade myself.Is the pedal really that necessary when you have the remote?.Maybe leaving your hands free is a bonus?

Davey, it really depends on what I'm fishing for but I like having both hands free in a lot of cases.

Depends on what you want to do...........for spot lock and lazy trolling for walleyes on Lake Erie I don't need the foot control.

You don't mention what MK motor you have but "IF" it's a power drive V-2 and built after 2007 you can update it to a Ipilot for about $450 and it only takes a few minutes to do.

But if you just want spot lock you do not need a Humminbird and Ipiolt "Link" unit as any Ipilot unit will follower you last 6 contour lines and do spot lock at a much less price.

Hmmm...I will need to take a look I guess. The boat is a 2008, so I would assume the motor is the same age (believe it was part of the original package, but since I bought it used, not really sure). I really only want to control the motor remotely, and as you mentioned spot lock.

Do you know what I need to do the upgrade (other than the right motor)?

Here's the link for I-Pilot upgrade......but it's gone up in price I see......but still a lot less then a whole new unit.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37076/minn-kota-i-pilot-gps-trolling-motor-control-system

............................................................................................................................................

Now with this unit you can just make your Power Drive V2 into a "Co-Pilot" unit for a lot less but that just eliminates the foot control and doesn't have spot lock or anything else...

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/6734/minn-kota-wireless-co-pilot