Easter Supper in the making

Fisherman

Cubed up the beef and pork a day ago with all the spices, today the potatoes were added. Rolled out the dough after supper, filled the roaster and covered it over. It will go in the oven for about 4 hours tomorrow..and fill the house with a sumptuous smell. Unfortunately I couldn't coax any deer or moose into coming for supper this time. Anyone wants to try this I can post a recipe.

IMG_0133.jpgIMG_0135%20-%20Copy.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Ok. This amount is for a big enamel turkey roaster style pan, about 16" long x 12" wide x 8" high.

3 lbs each of pork (usually get the pork loin package on sale at No Frills), trim the fat. Same for a 3lb beef roast, nothing special. You can add a pound of cubed deer or moose for a different taste, bunny works too.

About 5 lbs of potatoes (Yukon gold my preference)

1 onion about baseball size- 4". 1-2 cloves of garlic, pepper. I don't cook with salt, it can be added at serving time.

2 packages of Francois Hubert frozen pastry dough available at Food Basics or whatever brand you prefer

2 days before cooking

Cube the meat in 3/4" size, chop onions fine, crush the garlic. Mix all together in a big pot and leave in the fridge.

Night before cooking

Peel and cube potatoes 3/4 to 1 inch size, add to the meat in the pot in the fridge.

Day of cooking

Early morning, I roll out the pastry dough (I use Francois Hubert brand pre made dough, comes in 1kg packages in frozen food section at Food Basics) It's foolproof stuff, rolls out super thin. I start at one end of the roaster, line it with pastry, add a bit of the Tourtiere mix, add some more pastry along the bottom and sides, add more Tourtiere mix until none left. Roll out enough dough to make a lid. Now don't forget this step, add enough water to about 1" under the top of the Tourtiere mix. Top off with the pastry top, fold in the sides and seal it off.

Preheat oven to 400F, with the lid off, in goes the roaster for about 45 minutes or so until the top is starting to brown, keep an eye on it. At that point, drop the temp to 270F for another 3 - 31/2 hours. Some ovens work a little different.

Any questions, ask away. You can freeze and reheat this stuff, just as good as day one.