does the regular elite 4x show boat speed?

123chadder

So is it safe to say "all" GPS units will give boat speed? My current crappy unit has no gps so ive been using my navionics app for speed. Also will the gps units indicate shoals and other obstacles on my map? Im thinking of a $600 unit for starters to eventually be the front unit and a larger one later on the console....

yes all GPS units will give you speed.

if the map chip you put in your GPS unit has the lake you are on mapped, then yes it will show you shoals/obstacles/depth.. with varying degrees of accuracy (from good to what do you mean there's a rock there? the map show 30').

Edited by Raf

I have a elite 4 paired with my minn Kota. It has GPS but it does not however show speed. At least I can't find out how to get it to show on screen. I have a elite 5 at the helm that shows me my speed. So I guess not all GPS units come with speed is what I'm trying to say

I've found navionics to be mostly accurate for depth. As Raf said, be careful with the obstructions though. Our family cottage is on Kashe lake, and they cover most of the obstructions but they have missed some doozies and if you hit one of them your in for a repair bill. $600 will get you a decent unit.

Edited by porkpie