Haliburton/Oblong Lake trout fishing

ccmtcanada

I've rented a cottage on Haliburton Lake this summer (July) and I'm interested in targeting Lake Trout and Smallies. I've never targeted Lake Trout in deep cold waters so I'm looking for advice on equipment, fishing technique etc. My brother is flying out from Alberta to join me so I'd like to put him on fish!

I know they will be deep and I'll be searching for fish using my depth finder. Should I jig for them or is investing in dipseys and rods be the way to go? I don't have down riggers and likely won't invest in them for just one trip.

Any advice and tips are appreciated! Thanks!!

Edited by ccmt

Jig for them ccmt . As long as you have a good finder and some calm weather that's the way to go for sure .

I'm out at least once a week in the summer jigging for lakers and they are actually quite easy to find believe

it or not . Lake trout prefer water temps in the 50-55 degree range so find the deepest part of the lake and move out

from there finding some drop-offs or feeding shelves in that area of the lake . Where I fish the lake trout are not that

deep (30-60 ft) and I have actually caught lakers in 15ft of water in the heat of the summer so don't think they are

always in the depths , they will always follow the food no matter the water temp. The lake trout you see on your finder

in the deepest part of the lake are generally in a negative mood so I personally don't even bother with them and move

to those drop offs or shelves in 30 - 60 ft of water and fish those guys . Those lakers are in a some what positive feeding

mood. I have several fishing reports on this forum from my laker jigging adventures so check them out . I will try to find some

pics. of my favorite go to jigs/setups and post them on here for you . I could talk for ever about jigging lake trout , it's quite the rush

and I absolutely love it . Nothing beats a 15lb lake trout racing up off the bottom and smashing your jig and seeing it all unfold

on you finder screen .

That's a nice part of the County around there. Haliburton is a pretty lake that coughs up the odd giant laker. Fort Irwin is a cute little town too.

I don't like dipsy divers. Most times you can't even tell when a small laker is on. I like old school wire line better. I have a portable downrigger I'm not using. You could swing by and borrow it for the week.

Jigging heavy spoons will work if the wind isn't blowing you around.

I grew up on the North end of Hali lake Cliff. Delaney Rd was longer back then (went all the way out to Hali lake rd) and named Delaney Dr after my grandfather who's team brought the Hydro to the area. I can tell you a whole lot of SMB spots on that lake and a trolling section... ;)

Where I fish the lake trout are not that

deep (30-60 ft) and I have actually caught lakers in 15ft of water in the heat of the summer so don't think they are

always in the depths , they will always follow the food no matter the water temp. The lake trout you see on your finder

in the deepest part of the lake are generally in a negative mood so I personally don't even bother with them and move

to those drop offs or shelves in 30 - 60 ft of water and fish those guys . Those lakers are in a some what positive feeding

mood.

That was my experience with Haliburton Lakes, don't think I ever put a cannonball deeper than 50 feet. Temperature reading with the old Fishhawk probe would always be below 50 degrees by 40 feet, incredible how fast the thermocline drops from 60 degrees to high forties .

Never fished Haliburton Lake but often drove by it going to smaller lakes on that hydro rightaway that runs up to Whitney. :whistling:

Here ya go , couple of my favorite jigs for lake trout .

2014-09-22001031_zpsdbf1eedd.jpg

P7010126.jpg

P5200093.jpg

All are 3/4 - 1 oz with the top picture being the best jig for me last year . Maybe its the homemade paint job

on the jig head . Bottom jig in last picture is beaten up pretty good from that trip . Can't really offer any advice

for that area your fishing , I generally hit the Parry Sound area and Algonquin but I'm sure there all pretty well

the same .

Edited by 4x4bassin

How big is that minnow jig in the first pic? Fin-S minnow?

I love my Fin-S minnows, but never tried them for jigging lakers....might have to giver a whirl!

S.

That is a 1 oz darter head with a 5.75" fin-s minnow in that first pic. I paint up my own darters at home .

I have used flukes , gulp minnows you name it and find the fin-s fish the best . I use a smaller minnow in

the spring (4 inches) and work up to a bigger one come Aug/Sept (5-7 inches) Match the local prey size !

It might sound a little over the top for lake trout but it works for me .

Edited by 4x4bassin

Cliff I have fished Haliburton lake many many times !!!! And can give you some tips like the guys above did as well !!!! I will have fished it several times by the time you have your holiday and might even be there while you are there so we can talk a little closer to that time !!!! And don't think of getting riggers is not worth it for 1 trip !!!! Think of it as you are getting a rigger for many many more trips !!!! And not just for there for all over !!!!! Come on man !!!! Lol ..... Haha no such thing as too much tackle & gear ......... ??