Favorite fish dish..... What's yours?

Gerritt

EVOO=extra virgin olive oil:)

No problem with the questions, happy to answer them:)

I think this dish is well worth the effort and anticipation.... We make several batches of the cod at a time to freeze and pull out when we want it... Usually 2-3 times a months. We love it:)

Edited by Gerritt

If you like to cook(or love to cook)

You should always have EVOO on hand.

Stuff is amazing.

To see how amazing it is, make some spaghetti. Drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper, and a little parmesan cheese.

Thats traditional pasta on my italian side(of course gramps makes his own noodles)

And serve on polenta if you can

Just remember olive oil burns at 350 I think? Its not fit for deep frying etc

Edited by manitoubass2

Dried, salted/flaked cod are a European staple, but I've never been a big fan whether it be Italian bacala al sugo, or it be Scandinavian lutefisk in creme sauce.

However I do get a hankering for Dutch lekkerbekes or kibblings like what I get at St Jakobs market. Usually, one helping just isn't enough.

As mentioned in a previous post one of my favorites is a family recipe and includes salt cod...I have made it sort of my own, as have those before me.... Most included homemade wine in the dish...

While I dont have my own wine cellar, this dish is on par with the various versions other family members make...

Take your bacalhau or salt cod cut into large pieces and soak for 5 days changing out the water often... Every 6-12 hours.

make sure the cod is completely covered in water... I find a large measure cup is handy for this...

Portion and freeze until ready to use.... Do not soak them to thaw... Keep in the freezer bag and thaw the fish in it.

Next pour olive oil in a pan and add chopped onions...

image_1.jpg

Cook till translucent...

Here is the soaked fish ready for the pan...

image_2.jpg

And the garlic.... Lots of it. And not the cheap Chinese crap. Get Canadian garlic if you can.... US garlic is not bad either...

image_3.jpg

Some green onions too...

image_5.jpg

Getting happy...... Together :)

image_6.jpg

This is a must have in any European mans pantry... Not too spicy, and not too much salt. Perfect for cooking with.

image_7.jpg

Getting even happier!..... Smells so good!

image_8.jpg

And here is the end result... Served with mashed potatoes and corn. With a fresh baguette for the sauce..... Along with a nice Cab. Sauv.

image_9.jpg

image_10.jpg

Always served family style.

Hope you enjoy...

And share yours! Always willing to try new things

G

some people might get pissy with me .... But do this with a rabbit

Lol, why would people get pissy with you? Waboose is awesome!

2014-12-16%2010.01.10_zps4nt0m2rv.jpg

so I did this recipe tonight with pike...

Slam dunk, i had a small plate cause the kids gorged ?

Wicked good dish and the whole house smells fantastic lol

I served ours with some fry bread to clean up the sauce. Nothing else. The dish speaks for itself?

Edited by manitoubass2

I did Gerritt, have to wipe the drool off the keyboard. WOW! I wanna try.

The best fish dish I ever tasted in my life was at the Fraser River Fishing Lodge. The chef poached some halibut stuffed with salmon in a very light buttery wine sauce. It was simple but intensely delicious... and really, it's hard to beat both those fish even when they're cooked poorly.

You'll have to wait for photos. I'm not usually one who takes pics of my food.....I just eat it.

Next time I make either I'll try to remember.

S.

Could you share the recipe/method? By PM if need be... Very interested

It's a toss up for me. On the one hand there's my Gram's "Fish Head Soup" . A versatile white chowder that works with just about any seafood or fish. It has been a fine end result for thousands of hapless pike over the decades.

It's also hard to top a good old bushman's/farmer's breakfast with all the trimmings. Bacon and sausage, maybe some peameal or ham. Finnish pancakes rolled up with jam. Scrambled eggs, panfried fish and taters and big steaming jugs of coffee.

Fish head soup? Share it, I'll make it! Hopefully without actual pike fish heads... Lol don't think SWMBO would appreciate it, but she loves fish!!

G

Dried, salted/flaked cod are a European staple, but I've never been a big fan whether it be Italian bacala al sugo, or it be Scandinavian lutefisk in creme sauce.

However I do get a hankering for Dutch lekkerbekes or kibblings like what I get at St Jakobs market. Usually, one helping just isn't enough.

No wonder why I like you :) minus you not liking salt cod lol. Edited by Gerritt

It's very versatile.... I would try that as well!

Sorry for the multiple posts to this thread.... But I Am unable to use the multiple quote feature on my iPhone with the mobile skin.

Some wicked ideas posted here... No wonder I'm a stout fella :)

G

That looks so good G. I have tried many recipes, but my tried and true fave has always been the easy, plain old trout fried in butter, garlic and a bit of salt and pepper. Used to catch them fresh out of the Bow River in the mountains outside of Canmore, AB and just fry them up right there in the pan.

I did it with the trout we caught out of Lake of Bays last year too and was still as delish as ever.

Any white meat made in a peanut/curry/spicy sauce with peppers and onions. I prefer bluegill for this, but have made it with walleye and pike also.

Marinate the fillets in a curry spice mix.

Cut up some peppers and onions and cook in some extra virgin olive oil

Add a can of coconut milk when peppers and onions are tender.

Add a teaspoon of peanut buttter into milk and any spices that you like. (I use a package satay mix)

Bring to a simmer so the mixture is bubbling slightly.

Lay fish on top of this and cover until fish flakes.

Stir all together gently and serve over a bed of rice or whatever.

A nice change from the breaded and fried fish.2011-06-02 23-20-39_0005.jpg2011-06-02 23-48-37_0006.jpg2011-06-02 23-56-14_0007.jpg

Any white meat made in a peanut/curry/spicy sauce with peppers and onions. I prefer bluegill for this, but have made it with walleye and pike also.

Marinate the fillets in a curry spice mix.

Cut up some peppers and onions and cook in some extra virgin olive oil

Add a can of coconut milk when peppers and onions are tender.

Add a teaspoon of peanut buttter into milk and any spices that you like. (I use a package satay mix)

Bring to a simmer so the mixture is bubbling slightly.

Lay fish on top of this and cover until fish flakes.

Stir all together gently and serve over a bed of rice or whatever.

A nice change from the breaded and fried fish. 2011-06-02 23-20-39_0005.jpg 2011-06-02 23-48-37_0006.jpg 2011-06-02 23-56-14_0007.jpg

Thai inspired dish? Love Thai food! Damn I miss living close to a large city and the endless "ethnic" shops/ restaurants I used to visit

I have to try this one! Thanks!

What curry mix do you use? There are so many

Edited by Gerritt

That looks so good G. I have tried many recipes, but my tried and true fave has always been the easy, plain old trout fried in butter, garlic and a bit of salt and pepper. Used to catch them fresh out of the Bow River in the mountains outside of Canmore, AB and just fry them up right there in the pan.

I did it with the trout we caught out of Lake of Bays last year too and was still as delish as ever.

Paul is a lucky man J.... I would kill for a meal like that. I have had the pleasure of eating some of your vittles over the years.. At Different G2G's etc. for those that don't know..... J, is one hell of a cook, photographer and all around human.

I'm patiently waiting for you pm with recipes lol..... No seriously... I am..

G

Fish head soup? Share it, I'll make it! Hopefully without actual pike fish heads... Lol don't think SWMBO would appreciate it, but she loves fish!!

G

Simple to do. I'm only guessing on measures because we have never actually measured out or written the recipe. Growing up in Gram's kitchen, you learned. Recipe can be done without the stock, simple adding 2-3 qts water instead. Makes a milder, (not as full, in my opinion) flavour. The fish heads are strictly for making your stock. Done the night you clean your fish. Last time around it was 2 dozen perch heads, tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of garlic, 1/2 dozen allspice balls simmering in 2-3 qts. water for about 1 hr, or reduced by half. Pour into fine strainer, and there is your stock.

Get 2 fine chopped onion, saute til soft in 2 tbsp butter. Pour in stock and add 1/2 a celery stem diced, 1 large peeled carrot diced, 4-5 large taters, in 1" cubes, and 1/2 dozen more whole allspice (When kids see them in the bowl, you tell them those are the fish eyes). Slow boil for 20 minutes.

Now the good stuff. We used pike because that was the easiest way to cook pike. My folks never fileted pike. Add 2lbs boneless filets of any white fish, I'll also add clams with juice, small shrimp, scallops, seafood medley, whatever floats your boat. Let that simmer 10 minutes. To this you the add 2 qts. Milk and cream, mixed to how rich you want it. Add a little more salt and pepper to taste if desired. This will still need to cook another 15 minutes on lower heat. Stir constantly. When it's this thick it sticks to the bottom real easy. You should wind up with a gallon of hearty goodness.

Paul is a lucky man J.... I would kill for a meal like that. I have had the pleasure of eating some of your vittles over the years.. At Different G2G's etc. for those that don't know..... J, is one hell of a cook, photographer and all around human.

I'm patiently waiting for you pm with recipes lol..... No seriously... I am..

G

:wub: Thanks G

Simple to do. I'm only guessing on measures because we have never actually measured out or written the recipe. Growing up in Gram's kitchen, you learned. Recipe can be done without the stock, simple adding 2-3 qts water instead. Makes a milder, (not as full, in my opinion) flavour. The fish heads are strictly for making your stock. Done the night you clean your fish. Last time around it was 2 dozen perch heads, tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of garlic, 1/2 dozen allspice balls simmering in 2-3 qts. water for about 1 hr, or reduced by half. Pour into fine strainer, and there is your stock.

Get 2 fine chopped onion, saute til soft in 2 tbsp butter. Pour in stock and add 1/2 a celery stem diced, 1 large peeled carrot diced, 4-5 large taters, in 1" cubes, and 1/2 dozen more whole allspice (When kids see them in the bowl, you tell them those are the fish eyes). Slow boil for 20 minutes.

Now the good stuff. We used pike because that was the easiest way to cook pike. My folks never fileted pike. Add 2lbs boneless filets of any white fish, I'll also add clams with juice, small shrimp, scallops, seafood medley, whatever floats your boat. Let that simmer 10 minutes. To this you the add 2 qts. Milk and cream, mixed to how rich you want it. Add a little more salt and pepper to taste if desired. This will still need to cook another 15 minutes on lower heat. Stir constantly. When it's this thick it sticks to the bottom real easy. You should wind up with a gallon of hearty goodness.

Bruce, saved. I will let you know how I make out!

Garrit that cod recipe has been in our home for over 40 years, we eliminate the hot stuff and a little less garlic and no onions. Ye we do the soaking method to. T.

My mother used to do it poached, cooled and dressed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.

You may want to boil some potatoes, cube and cool them, the longer the better. Dress with oil, salt, pepper and here comes the kicker: finelly chopped FRESH (I grow my own) MINT leaves and a splash of red wine vinegar.

To die for. Instead of mashed :)

Garrit that cod recipe has been in our home for over 40 years, we eliminate the hot stuff and a little less garlic and no onions. Ye we do the soaking method to. T.

My mother used to do it poached, cooled and dressed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.

You may want to boil some potatoes, cube and cool them, the longer the better. Dress with oil, salt, pepper and here comes the kicker: finelly chopped FRESH (I grow my own) MINT leaves and a splash of red wine vinegar.

To die for. Instead of mashed :)

Very nice! I, like you grew up with this. It is a staple around here.

We would normally serve with boiled potatoes as well. But I had some mashed left over from the previous night, so I used them instead ( I hate to dispose of food I see $$$ signs) if we don't eat it I will give it to our dog versus throwing it out.

Sometimes he eats better then we do!

Thanks for ideas, every euro family has their version of this dish as you well know :)

G

Edited by Gerritt

We would normally serve with boiled potatoes as well. But I had some mashed left over from the previous night, so I used them instead ( I hate to dispose of food I see $$$ signs) if we don't eat it I will give it to our dog versus throwing it out.

Thanks for ideas, every euro family has their version of this dish as you well know :)

G

Lol thats our dogs too gerrit???

G

WE NEVER throw food out, we eat it. the patoto recipe come from my dad. My girls don't like it. Two of my son in laws ask for it :) during the summer.

We are Euro back from 1960, my parents were Canadians from day one and loved this country.

WE kept our recipes from the 'old country'. Much more better for you. My mother was here for 50 years and never had a McD. lol. mind you I haven't had one in over 20 years.

Her motto, cook your own. I can cook and she would sit in the kitchen while visiting and always told me to wash my hands 'before' touching any food.