Slip float lakers

shimano19

Hey guys going to try a method that I have never tried before. Slip floats for lakers. Here's my question; should I use split shot with a hook below and a minnow or do you find a jig head with a minnow work better. Hoping to catch something trying out this new tactic. Any info is good info! Thanks

Hey guys going to try a method that I have never tried before. Slip floats for lakers. Here's my question; should I use split shot with a hook below and a minnow or do you find a jig head with a minnow work better. Hoping to catch something trying out this new tactic. Any info is good info! Thanks

We always use sliding bobber for ice fishing. Very good results today.

The setup from top to bottom:

Knot, a pearl, bobber, small split lead, swivel, one small split lead near hook, hook, minnow

If you need an image I will make one - it's all in the garage, full of ice from today

Ive been using slip floats for trout and whities for as long as I can remember. Bluegill has the set up exactly the way I do it, and even has the right floats. (where did you find those BTW???). The tall top is the key, so you can see it from your jigging hole. They are deadly for any fish that swims on the slow days when they dont want to hit your jigging set up, and super sensitive for light biting panfish.

S.

Ive been using slip floats for trout and whities for as long as I can remember. Bluegill has the set up exactly the way I do it, and even has the right floats. (where did you find those BTW???). The tall top is the key, so you can see it from your jigging hole. They are deadly for any fish that swims on the slow days when they dont want to hit your jigging set up, and super sensitive for light biting panfish.

S.

The shown float is a heavier one, just had it on hand. I always make it by myself. It's from eastern white cedar.

Image on the float is a whitie.

Normally I use a lighter float

Yes, the attachment has to be under water. The floats that you slide the line thru the hollow stem dont work as well when its cold.

S.

Yes! That's why I posted that pic in my sec post...

If anybody would like to use a CT float, look at this example. There is a swivel part attched to the end...

You can glue it or just use a shrink tube form CT as shown in my first pic

It will never freeze

bobber_zps213f3d39.jpg

Edited by Bluegill

Interesting! So is that just a snap swivel(minus the swivel?) glued to the end?

I guess you could just bend a piece of fine wire into a U and shrink tube it on.

Yes, a snap swivel end without the swivel - the line under water not through the float!

A piece of wire if not too fine would work too.

I shrink wrap a piece of heavy mono on some, but the snap is the way to go. That way you can add a float to any set up, as long as you have a bobbber stop on the line. Anyone who has fished with me knows I always have a bobber stop on my line somewhere. I use them for trolling as a line counter on spinning reels too. They have many uses, not just stopping a bobber.

S.

Edited by Sinker

You can clip the sponge ones on too but you need a bead as well as a bobber stop. I'll probably make up a couple of wooden ones when I get the time, but in the meantime the sponge ones seem OK.

What do folks use for stops? I have just used those stringy thingies sold in the stores but 1 of my buddies ties a piece of rubber band tightly around the line.