Waterproof Case for a Samsung S4 - Looking for a recommendation

hookerdown

I upgraded my S3 to an S4 over the weekend and I am looking to buy a waterproof case for it.

When I bought my S3 about 3 years ago I got the Otter Box Defender and was not impressed at all. I went through 2 Defenders and 2 Commuters in that time frame. Neither are waterproof but lucky for me they are water resistant.

I checked oniline reviews on the Deidio OBEX and Lifeproof's fre and nuud. All had mixed reviews. Not sure if there are others on the market.

Considering the cost of a case I want something that will do the job and that will hopefully last a couple of years.

Does anyone have any experience with waterproof cases, or suggest any others?

Thanks.

I have been using a life proof for iphone for the last 2 years. They replaced if twice under warranty. The seals failed, only because the audio was so bad on the originals that I had to take the case off all the time unless I was out fishing. This causes premature wear. The second replacement they sent me had all the bigs worked out. You can here well, and the case hasn't been off in over a year. They finally got it right. I would now buy again if I changed phones.

I have been using a Lifeproof Fre for my Iphone 5 since I got the phone about 2.5 years ago. The first case failed at the audio mute button about 3 months ago but Lifeproof sent a replacement case at no charge and no hassle. I had to get the phone battery replaced earlier this year and the Apple techy said he has not seen a 2 year old phone in better condition. I would definitely buy another one but there are a few limitations that may also be present with the Samsung version. First of all, the headphone jack requires the use of an adapter which is included with the case, but does necessitate you bringing the adapter wherever you go. There is a workaround by using Bluetooth headphones or getting a bluetooth receiver. Secondly, the thickness of the case does not allow me to use many (perhaps any) of the docking stations out there. The Apple charging cables (and some other manufacturers) work fine but the docking stations don't fit. Probably less of an issue with a Samsung phone since there are fewer Samsung docks on the market. Sound quality when on the phone is better with this newer case. Keep in mind that the touchscreen doesn't work when wet so taking pictures/videos requires a workaround. When shooting underwater with an Iphone, the volume buttons work to start/stop photo/video recording.

Obvious pros - drop the phone and it should survive. Waterproof in case your phone takes a dip. If you have kids, also makes cleaning greasy fingerprints off the screen really easy. I will try and post an underwater video I took last month in the next day or so.

I also have the Nuud model for my Ipad. Works great. Worry free especially with a 4 year old.

Jon

very cool video thanks for sharing

as for the case I have a Heavy Duty Otter box for mine, however it is NOT waterproof, but it has saved my phone more times then i can count and has he battle scars to prove it, but my phone is fine

Edited by DynamicBear

My daughter still uses my old lifeproof for iphone 4 and if done properly it is indeed waterproof.

Not that id recommend it but she uses hers is the shower to belt out one direction tunes lol

What don't you recommend? Using the phone in the shower; or, using it to play One Direction tunes? :whistling:

Edited by JohnBacon