cooking thread...

Darn, I forgot all about taking a photo, made up a seafood chowder today. Started with cut up side bacon and some butter, then diced onions and celery, potatoes and water to cover them. Then a LOT of perch fillets, a couple cans of baby clams, a bunch of shrimp and a can of my own canned BC Sockeye, and some cream, seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper.

I had three bowls for lunch! :canadian:

But now it is all put into containers.............well it just looked like a seafood chowder anyways!

Doug

115 pages and still no cooking/recipe subforum?

come on this one thread has more views/replies then the useless announcements/news subforums :wallbash:

And here you looked. LOL Must be hungry.LOL

A sub forum would be fine with me BOSS.But Im not the powers that be.

Darn, I forgot all about taking a photo, made up a seafood chowder today. Started with cut up side bacon and some butter, then diced onions and celery, potatoes and water to cover them. Then a LOT of perch fillets, a couple cans of baby clams, a bunch of shrimp and a can of my own canned BC Sockeye, and some cream, seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper.

I had three bowls for lunch! :canadian:

But now it is all put into containers.............well it just looked like a seafood chowder anyways!

Doug

Dang doug. That some nice chowder. Tell me you made some home made biscuits too?

Edited by Brian B

Dang doug. That some nice chowder.

Yes sir it is, and you could stand up a spoon in it, nice and thick! Before I added about a cup of cream I was worried the chowder was going to stick to the bottom of my pot............

• 2 weeks later...

Elk! It's what's for dinner.

I'm not talking about those commercially farmed elk either.
At a fishing club meeting Monday night a friend surprised me with a big chop/steak (?) of his first Ontario shot elk from the Bancroft area. I'm looking forward to my first ever taste of elk.

13227017_1599320133662048_64558613005065

.....and.....

Wow, an exceptionally tasty piece of meat.
Got the pan hot with butter and a splash of olive oil, onion and fresh garlic. Once the butter was flavoured with the onion and garlic I removed it and set it aside. Seared the steak for about a minute a side, then reduced heat a little and cooked for another minute thirthy a side. Placed onions and garlic back over the steak and covered to rest for a few minutes.

Plated a baked potato topped with grated old cheddar and some caramelized carrots and then added the meat.

Yum!

I'm almost full.

13226967_1599357816991613_52551097068325

Elk Loin Steak from the look of it, and yes elk is absolutely my favourite game meat.

And shooting an elk is one of only two things on my "bucket list."

Doug

Thanks Doug. The butcher wrap wasn't labeled and even the guy giving it me said he thought it was a steak.

I was unsure.

I am however sure I'd like more. ;)

Best of luck in your quest.

Thanks Doug. The butcher wrap wasn't labeled and even the guy giving it me said he thought it was a steak.

I was unsure.

I am however sure I'd like more. ;)

Best of luck in your quest.

Thanks!

Some folks would also call that a loin chop. Like many meat cuts there is more than one name for lots of stuff.

Next try for elk will be September in the Kootenays (in BC).

Doug

OK some time ago I promised to write up a "how to" for canning your own side bacon. Here goes.

First the recipe/instructions:

CANNED BACON

(February 2016)

Buy premium bacon to make this. A 5 kg/11 lb box is about right for a canner load. Lay the strips of bacon on aluminum foil, or parchment paper, on cookie sheets in a single layer. (Fist picture, below)

Clean-up is about the same for foil and for parchment paper, but the latter is wider and covers larger pans better. Cook the bacon in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes per pan, until just about fully cooked but not crispy. (Second picture) Cooking bacon in the oven keeps the slices nice and flat.

Drain the slices of bacon on paper towel and allow to cool.

Take about 24” of parchment paper, cut off the top 2” or so, and lay strips side by side (some overlap is OK) to about the 21” mark or so. The strips should be about ½” shorter than a 500 ml Mason jar, so trim to length with a knife. (third picture) At this point, with the bacon laid out flat, you can brush it with maple syrup or other flavourings. Fold the parchment paper top and bottom over the bacon, (fourth picture) then roll it tightly towards the paper end. It should fit snugly into the (wide mouth!) Mason jar – if it is too tight remove a slice or two, if it is too loose add a slice or two. (Last picture)

Take the off-cuts and place them in a shallow jar like a salmon jar that will fit on top of the 500 ml jars in the canner. These pieces, NOT in parchment paper, will be used as bacon bits or whatever.

Process the jars at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes. The jars should seal with no problems, and when cooled off there will be a bit of bacon fat in the bottom of the jars.

To use the bacon, open a jar and it can be eaten directly or warmed in the microwave for a few seconds and then eaten like regular cooked bacon. My first batch lasted just fine for over three years in my pantry. It’s DELICIOUS!

Now the pictures:

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_5_.JPG

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_6_.JPG

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_12_.JPG

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_13_.JPG

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_14_.JPG

ENJOY!

Doug

The house is hot, cooking outside toady!

I'm full.

Foil pouched potatoes with yellow peppers, celery and onion seasoned with fresh grated ginger and cayenne pepper. Tossed with some peanut oil an thrown onto the BBQ. Half inch thick slices of cabbage basted in peanut oil and smoked Hungarian paprika with garlic and fresh ground black pepper, on the BBQ......

Finally a pair of 16oz T-Bones marinated in olive oil and garlic....on the grill. 450* for a few minutes a side, mine medium rare my daughters medium.

She treated me to glass of hard cider with the meal. Did I mention I'm full.

(Yes I know my plates are chipped ;) )

13307243_1603114076615987_63160499397142.

13325690_1603114079949320_64718108851420

13256031_1603114096615985_15308060843146

OK some time ago I promised to write up a "how to" for canning your own side bacon. Here goes.

First the recipe/instructions:

CANNED BACON

(February 2016)

Buy premium bacon to make this. A 5 kg/11 lb box is about right for a canner load. Lay the strips of bacon on aluminum foil, or parchment paper, on cookie sheets in a single layer. (Fist picture, below)

Clean-up is about the same for foil and for parchment paper, but the latter is wider and covers larger pans better. Cook the bacon in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes per pan, until just about fully cooked but not crispy. (Second picture) Cooking bacon in the oven keeps the slices nice and flat.

Drain the slices of bacon on paper towel and allow to cool.

Take about 24” of parchment paper, cut off the top 2” or so, and lay strips side by side (some overlap is OK) to about the 21” mark or so. The strips should be about ½” shorter than a 500 ml Mason jar, so trim to length with a knife. (third picture) At this point, with the bacon laid out flat, you can brush it with maple syrup or other flavourings. Fold the parchment paper top and bottom over the bacon, (fourth picture) then roll it tightly towards the paper end. It should fit snugly into the (wide mouth!) Mason jar – if it is too tight remove a slice or two, if it is too loose add a slice or two. (Last picture)

Take the off-cuts and place them in a shallow jar like a salmon jar that will fit on top of the 500 ml jars in the canner. These pieces, NOT in parchment paper, will be used as bacon bits or whatever.

Process the jars at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes. The jars should seal with no problems, and when cooled off there will be a bit of bacon fat in the bottom of the jars.

To use the bacon, open a jar and it can be eaten directly or warmed in the microwave for a few seconds and then eaten like regular cooked bacon. My first batch lasted just fine for over three years in my pantry. It’s DELICIOUS!

ENJOY!

Doug

This seems like a must try.

Thanks Doug

Im stuffed just looking at that Chris. Nice job.

No fish today, so chicken breasts rubbed with some southern cajun. Just getting happy happy in the fridge right now. Will just have a salad and bake tater with it. It,s a new rub Im trying for the first time. Hope it tastes, the way it smells. I wanted to wrap it in bacon, but diet list says no BACON. :(:(:(

Jeebus spiel that looks fantastic!

Also, when doug visits I cant wait to can some bacon!

Deal.

You'll need a 5 kg box of premium bacon and a roll of parchment paper. Or for the size of your family, maybe we should do 1 litre jars, in which case you'll need more bacon! The 500ml jars will take about a pound each., so I bet we could fit the better part of a kilo into each big jar! :canadian:

Doug

Deal.

You'll need a 5 kg box of premium bacon and a roll of parchment paper. Or for the size of your family, maybe we should do 1 litre jars, in which case you'll need more bacon! The 500ml jars will take about a pound each., so I bet we could fit the better part of a kilo into each big jar! :canadian:

Doug

Sounds perfect!

Just remember we still need to fish lol

My wife and I hammered the Perch this A.M. kept 20 all over 10"s. Nothing better than todays catch for supper. I had Halibut last night in Cambridge done in a potato chip crust, very nice, I am going to do them like that in an hour with a rice pilaf. Come on over, there's plenty.

Everyones eating good tonight boys

Nope, just got back from a flying visit down to see my folks, and my wife was also away all weekend. She took a "COOKING CLASS" on Friday and brought home some of the stuff she cooked.

How about left-over curried fried rice? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how can I throw this into the compost without getting caught at it?????????

OIM I am going to get back onto the 401 and head the rig West, save me some perch!!! :whistling:

Doug