cooking thread...

Oh yeah!

And whomever added the chicken breast marinated in italian dressing(mr blizzard?)

Did that last night and served with grilled asperagus and grilled peppers(actually broiled because my BBQ got smashed lol)

Very good! Kiddos loved it too!

aaawesome, wait to u buy a pouch of dry mix swiss chalet marinating sauce, beside gravy packets in the grocery store, use 1/4 cup water mix in 1/3 packet and 2 tbs of oil, prick chicken breasts , put it all in zip lock for 1 hour then on bbq,,,we use 1/3 pack for 3 breasts, or whole pack for 8 or 9,,,YOU HAVE TO TRY IT Did u drive over your bbq ? :dunno:

And Brian never tried the Unico mixed veggies, going to see if we can get them up here

aaawesome, wait to u buy a pouch of dry mix swiss chalet marinating sauce, beside gravy packets in the grocery store, use 1/4 cup water mix in 1/3 packet and 2 tbs of oil, prick chicken breasts , put it all in zip lock for 1 hour then on bbq,,,we use 1/3 pack for 3 breasts, or whole pack for 8 or 9,,,YOU HAVE TO TRY IT Did u drive over your bbq ? :dunno:

And Brian never tried the Unico mixed veggies, going to see if we can get them up here

90 km/h winds smashed my bbq. Call it karma or whatever but I was just talking to old ironmaker on the phone the other day, and his was destroyed by heavy winds too.

Anyone like smoked salmon?

Well, I have been playing with this one for a while now but I think I finally have it down to perfection.

A side of salmon or trout skin on. Remove all the rib and lateral bones (it's a bit of work but worth it).

Spread a layer of coarse salt on the bottom of a plastic tray or container and lay the salmon skin side down on top of it.

Cover the rest of the slab with at least 1/4 inch of coarse salt and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Remove it from the fridge and shake off any excess salt then rinse it under cold water until all signs of the salt are removed. Pat it dry with a paper towel then put it back in the fridge for about an hour or two.

Cold smoke it with maple chips for about two hours.

Slice it nice and thin on the diagonal and serve with crackers, capers, and or lemon juce. You will never buy that smoked salmon in the store again!

My Mama's tomato sauce is a combination of southern Italian and central Italian styles. I make it my own way with tweaks from a few Aunts, my Mom's, A Calabrian and Abruzzi Noni, and my Comare's (Godmother's). There is no "right" way to do it. Even sugar is used by some, oh my. Heck within the same family there will be many different "right" ways to make it and I have seen people almost come to blows over which is the right way. I like my sauce a bit on the Rose side. I add a small pot (1 can) of Campbell's Cream of asparagus after using an immersion blender to smash up the bits of veggy in it 20 mins before serving. It comes from my aunt who always added a rue to hers. My favorite tomato sauce is a Ragu without Chicken. The Holy Trinity of Ragu is Veal, Pork and Chicken.

My favorite cream sauce is probably Carbonare made with smoked bacon not Pancetta. Another is a very light cream sauce using Asparagus tips and Zucchini slices in Spring. Millions of ways to make it right. You make it the way you like it. I can't type out a recipe because I don't measure, if I try to something will be of the wrong measure and can kill a good dish. If anyone wants to come over I will show them, that's the only way I do a recipe justice. Not to brag but my sauce is used by more than a few restaurants and caterers. Meat based, simmered until the meat falls apart. Veal, Beef and Pork or Beef or Veal and Pork. You can use any type of tomatoes you want, as long as they are San Marzano plums. Plum at the very least. The rest have far too high of a water content.

I'm the worse speller of Italian, but I have no idea why there is an "H" in Zuchinni when there is not an "H" in the Italian language. Anyone know what the other letters in our alphabet that isn't in the Italian? "J" is one, "Y" is another.

Moms trick, if you find your sauce is too acidic cut a green pepper in half and cook it in the sauce. If you ever slip with the salt do the same with a few cut in half potatoes.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I let these sit 2 months, not one week

That whole idea sounds great. I'd like to try that. Image saved. Versatile too. So at what point do you refrigerate? 2 months? The only possible issue I can think of is fresh garlic in oil at room temps for long periods. I also tend to double or triple garlic in many recipes.

All olives are not created equal. Does anyone have recommendations as to types and/or brands. I take it they don't need to be stuffed. Also, is sunflower oil the best, or are there alternatives? TIA

Cheers

That whole idea sounds great. I'd like to try that. Image saved. Versatile too. So at what point do you refrigerate? 2 months? The only possible issue I can think of is fresh garlic in oil at room temps for long periods. I also tend to double or triple garlic in many recipes.

All olives are not created equal. Does anyone have recommendations as to types and/or brands. I take it they don't need to be stuffed. Also, is sunflower oil the best, or are there alternatives? TIA

Cheers

I store them in a dark cool place(basement).

For these I just buy 2kg jugs of green olives(pitted)

I love the recipe so ive never tried another oil but I dont see why you couldnt?

Olive oil would certainly be healthier and add that extra flavour.

I refrigerate only after opening. Trust me these are great. I can eat them by the bowlfull or add em on almost anything. So I usually do about 8kgs staggered

Hey Old Ironmaker, nothing wrong with sugo di Abruzzi. I sweeten my sugo with shredded carrot. I like sweet red peppers for taking the bite out of the sauce. I never add any meat until I'm going to serve the sugo. Yes I produce 25-30 lbs of tomato sauce at a time and freeze it. Great meat alternative is shrimp and scallops in the sauce with a cup of Vecchia Romagna.

My go to quick fixes are al olio et fungi or or al carbonare with raw eggs stirred into piping hot spaghetti, chopped bacon and diced garlic

Edited by bigugli

With all this crappy weather, I locked myself in the kitchen all day. Rhubarb, peppers and tomatoes to process for the freezer. Brewed up another batch of salsa. Prepped a couple of crock pot dinners for the coming week. Tomorrow will be cabbage roll casserole.

Lobster and bacon Pototoe skins

4 Large baking potatoes

2 Lobster tails Canner size

Salsa

Bacon bits I make my own

sour cream

miracle whip

Microwave potatoes for 20 mins let cool thn cut in half scoop out potatoe

Preheat oven to 350 place skins in oven to crisp up

mix potatoe, salsa, sour cream , miracle whip and bacon in a bowl then add to skins place lobster meat on top and habenero shreeded cheese place in oven till cheese melts

after micro waved

Posted Image

Ingredients mixed and put in

Posted Image

Lobster and cheese added(only to the 4 centre ones others are just the salsa bacon etc

Posted Image

lobster

Posted Image

Finished ready to get eaten

Posted Image

Yummy

Disclamer I took these with my phone not my camera

Ok olive lovers, you have to try these. Buy bulk. It takes time but all are amazing!

Got this recipe on a moose hunt where the tradition is everyone brings a unique food for all to taste

20150628_142616_zpsaexuf0ga.jpg

So I manged to find some bulk olives at a wholesaler, but in a plastic 4l container. Hopefully these will work well enough. Price was right at $18

olives_zpsrc1ir9mw.jpg

I'm not too sure about the plastic reacting with the oil, so I'm actually thinking of splitting them up into 4 1 liter mason jars so I can try different recipes and use glass instead. Does anyone have any other ideas on different spices etc. I could add as well? Maybe onions.Tks

Cheers

Edited by smitty55