cooking thread...

like the cook on city slickers said, this aint no city food but its dark hot and theres plenty of it, couldnt resist Brian

where the heck is the bacon??????everything goes good with bacon even tuna, fatty bacon healthy omegas

Funny you say this John. I was thinking of pulling out a few slices , but didnt happen. When I make mac and chesse, that gets bacon.

I had goose 30 years ago at the camp on the Ottawa. I swore then I would never have it again. We do a cook up every 6 weeks and rotate location. It was Teds turn at off shore marina (his shop). He told me they were doing a Goose stew. Then he asked me if I would do the Pickerel. At least there will be something for me to eat, I'm in.

The Goose? One of the best stews to date. I guess Louis roasted it in the oven and deboned it. He told Ted it was too tough and dry to eat. Ted put it in a crock pot with stock and veg for 10 hours. It was moist and tender.

I had goose 30 years ago at the camp on the Ottawa. I swore then I would never have it again. We do a cook up every 6 weeks and rotate location. It was Teds turn at off shore marina (his shop). He told me they were doing a Goose stew. Then he asked me if I would do the Pickerel. At least there will be something for me to eat, I'm in.

The Goose? One of the best stews to date. I guess Louis roasted it in the oven and deboned it. He told Ted it was too tough and dry to eat. Ted put it in a crock pot with stock and veg for 10 hours. It was moist and tender.

Canada Goose is a terrible dish baked/roasted. It has no fat and is typically as tough as nails. So I cook all of my goose recipes with liquid and done slow. I took a picture of my goose leg soup a couple days ago and have some other stuff to share in a day or two, but yes wild goose is DELICIOUS if the cook does their part.

Doug

Canada Goose is a terrible dish baked/roasted. It has no fat and is typically as tough as nails. So I cook all of my goose recipes with liquid and done slow. I took a picture of my goose leg soup a couple days ago and have some other stuff to share in a day or two, but yes wild goose is DELICIOUS if the cook does their part.

Doug

Goose breast wrapped in bacon, slow cooked, comes out like roast of beef. I have served it thin sliced and they all thought they were eating roast beef sandwiches.

Goose breast wrapped in bacon, slow cooked, comes out like roast of beef. I have served it thin sliced and they all thought they were eating roast beef sandwiches.

I have never done goose breasts with ONLY a bacon wrap but yes it should be delicious. Here is another of my goose LEG recipes, but see also the note about breasts. The apple in the recipe adds flavour and moisture.

Doug

Goose legs in bacon.

Goose legs

Side bacon

White wine

Apples, cored and sliced

Ground nutmeg

Ground black pepper

Clean legs, pick out any shot, discard any shot-damaged tissue. Wrap each leg with 1 slice of side bacon, peg in place with a toothpick, and place in the bottom of a heavy, covered Dutch oven or similar baking dish. Pour about 1 cup of white wine over the legs, then cover with apple slices. Season with ground nutmeg and ground pepper. Cover, and cook at 325 to 350 F for about 2 hours. They are done when the meat falls off the bones easily.

Serve 2 legs per person, and spoon the “apple sauce” on cooked Acini de pepe pasta.

NOTE: This recipe also works for goose breasts, but reduce the cooking time by about half. Breasts are cooked when a thin fork inserted in the breast produces clear (not bloody) cooking juices.

Edited by akaShag

OK so last week I had wanted to spend some time trying out a few new things in the kitchen, and also making some old favourites. Dinner Wednesday evening was Doctor Doug's Oriental Goose Leg Soup, Cheesey Mashed Potato Muffins, and BBQ pork ribs.

The soup is one of the best ways to eat goose legs, which can be pretty tough. I may have already posted that recipe?

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_2_.JPG

I was looking for an idea to do up some left-over mashed potatoes with some cheddar cheese I had, and found a few interesting ideas. I ended up mixing a bunch of mashed potatoes, seasoning salt, a couple eggs, some sauteed vidalia onions and a LOT of shredded cheddar. Put them into a muffin tin, and into the oven at 375 for about 35 minutes or so. They were delicious! Next time I would probably take them out at about the thirty minute mark and also top them with shredded cheese. No such thing as too much cheese!

meals_and_canning_Feb_16_3_.JPG

And a couple racks of ribs. With the soup for a starter, nobody was famished for the main course and so I got ribs AND cheesey potato muffins to enjoy again!

Doug

Doug, all that food for 1 dinner, bless you. Please tell me you had guests over like M2B2's Army. No salt in the goose leg wrapped in Bacon, bacon salt maybe enough? I never add salt when I use bacon usually, or copious amounts of cheese. like Carbonarri sauce. Did I answer my own question? I'm not trying to be smart again but what is the difference between side bacon and reg. bacon? I always though bacon was from the belly. I know Canadian is loin and nothing to do with bacon, I thought.

Not too many times I hear someone that knows what Acini di Peppi is. Mini pipes in Italian, sort of. Great in any soup that calls for rice or pasta. They don't consume the broth when you put leftover soup in the fridge.

I just happen to have a bowl of leftover mash in the fridge, what should I do with it I wonder??? Thanks a lot Doug, there goes the blood sugar levels.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Back to Old Ironmaker...........

Yes that supper we had three guests over - two that had been invited and a third that dropped by and decided she would stay for supper when she heard what was on offer.

No I don't add salt to the goose leg recipe, the bacon provides enough, and the ground nutmeg and ground pepper are lovely seasonings without the salt.

Side bacon is what is normally called bacon these days, and is made from pork belly, as opposed to back bacon, which is made from pork loin and is also known as Canadian bacon (mostly south of the border) and is often sold as peameal bacon, even though it is usually rolled in cornmeal. When I was a boy we didn't have "bacon" we had either side bacon or back bacon, the latter being a rare treat.

And yes it was an Italian lady who first served me soup with acini de pepe, and I have been using it ever since then, both in soups and as a pasta side dish with a main course. I make "moose-a-roni" with ground moose, onions, tomato sauce, and cooked acini, all mixed together, then serve shredded or Parmesan cheese on top, yum yum!

Doug

Back to alsoknownas Shag, (I like that) I don't know where you live but I'm available anytime for supper. I'll bring the Vino and Brandy. It used to be Louis XIII Cognac but I'm retired now.

Come on down to Kingston............

How about some grappa? :canadian:

Doug

(also known as Shag)

Looks like I did not post that recipe, here it is:

DOCTOR DOUG’S ORIENTAL GOOSE LEG SOUP

8 GOOSE LEGS

3 L COLD WATER

10-12 CARDAMON SEEDS

½ TSP CELERY SALT

2 LARGE CARROTS, SHREDDED

1 LARGE SWEET ONION, DICED

4-5 RIBS CELERY, SLICED ON THE DIAGONAL

BUNCH GREEN ONIONS, SLICED

2-3 OZ SWEET SHERRY

SPRINKLE OF CUMIN SEEDS AND FRESH GROUND NUTMEG

1 TSP HY’S SEASONING SALT

100 GRAMS RICE NOODLES (VERMICELLI)

¼ CUP MAPLE SYRUP

WASH THE LEGS AND REMOVE ANY FEATHERS, FAT, SHOT, DAMAGED MEAT, ETC. PUT THEM IN THE WATER IN A GOOD SIZED STOCK POT, ADD THE CARDAMON SEEDS AND CELERY SALT, AND COOK AT LOW TO MEDIUM HEAT FOR ABOUT THREE HOURS. REMOVE THE LEGS AND STRAIN THE STOCK (JUST IN CASE THERE IS ANY STEEL SHOT....AND BONE FRAGMENTS!) ADD THE CARROTS, SWEET ONION, CELERY, SPICES AND SHERRY TO THE STRAINED STOCK AND COOK FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES UNTIL THE VEGGIES ARE THOROUGHLY COOKED. IN THE MEANTIME, REMOVE THE MEAT FROM THE BONES AND CUT IT INTO BITE-SIZED PIECES, THEN ADD THE MEAT BACK TO THE SOUP. ADD THE GREEN ONIONS AND COOK FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES, THEN ADD THE RICE NOODLES AND COOK FOR ABOUT ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES, STIRRING OFTEN. BEFORE SERVING, STIR IN THE MAPLE SYRUP. SERVES ABOUT 8.

Doug that is quite the interesting recipe I must say. Then I hit the maple syrup at the end and did a double take. I've never sweetened any soup. Well... maybe some honey in a tomato soup once. Kind of intriguing what that would add to that mix of spices. It must be the pic, but the soup has that "curry" look to it.

I make a lot of soups, they are so versatile. Lot's of poultry stock frozen in jars and containers and bags. I will admit to stocking up on the Campbell' s beef stock cartons when they go on sale. Regular price has gone way up the last couple of years. I've never tried to make beef stock after looking at the price of bones.

So what's the history on this soup Doug? Your own concoction likely I figure. Btw what happens to the cardamon seeds? Do they go mushy and blend in? I've only ever used powder.

Cheers

Doug that is quite the interesting recipe I must say. Then I hit the maple syrup at the end and did a double take. I've never sweetened any soup. Well... maybe some honey in a tomato soup once. Kind of intriguing what that would add to that mix of spices. It must be the pic, but the soup has that "curry" look to it.

I make a lot of soups, they are so versatile. Lot's of poultry stock frozen in jars and containers and bags. I will admit to stocking up on the Campbell' s beef stock cartons when they go on sale. Regular price has gone way up the last couple of years. I've never tried to make beef stock after looking at the price of bones.

So what's the history on this soup Doug? Your own concoction likely I figure. Btw what happens to the cardamon seeds? Do they go mushy and blend in? I've only ever used powder.

Cheers

The maple syrup was a suggested addition by one of the hunt camp guys, first time he made my recipe. Then I tried it, and even though it is only a quarter-cup it adds nicely to the flavour. Yes this recipe is all my own, I just kind of thought about what flavours would go well with goose leg meat. The cardamon seeds are strained out with the meat, and discarded along with the bones. I have on occasion missed a seed and there is an intense burst of flavour when one bites into it: not completely unpleasant but highly surprising.

I also use the Campbell's broths in some of my soups. I buy the 900 ml tetra packages when they go on sale, same as you.

When I first hunted geese with this gang of guys up north of Cornwall, they only kept the breasts. I agreed that plucking them to roast them was not only time-consuming but roast goose is terrible stuff. So I asked about the legs and was told they are pretty tough. Anyways I decided I would take home some legs rather than waste them, and started experimenting with them. My two favourites are this soup, and a goose legs with pineapple recipe that I have made many times. It's not everybody's "cup of tea" but I like goose meat. And I keep all of the legs except the really badly shot ones.

Doug