cooking thread...

Back to Mr Blizzard, your True North smoker is electric, correct? I have seen them and they look a lot like the Luhr-Jensen Little Chief and Big Chief smokers, which I have been using for almost forty years. YES your smoker will get hot enough to do hot smoking. In the wintertime, place a cardboard box over it, with about 2" clearance all the way around. Or if you are a handy fellow, make a thin wood box for it, leaving about six inches at the bottom for the smoke and heat to dissipate.

Doug

Well one of the big chains has turkey mild Italian sausages on sale this week, and only 70 calories per sausage. Not quite like the ones I make for myself, but hey, why not try something new?

OK I have tried something new and my advice is do NOT buy the turkey mild Italian sausages from No Frills. VERY disappointing, to put it mildly................ :(

The leftovers will probably be OK sliced up on a sandwich with mayo and some sharp cheese or something, but there is not much there for taste.

Doug

OK I have tried something new and my advice is do NOT buy the turkey mild Italian sausages from No Frills. VERY disappointing, to put it mildly................ :(

You should of asked before buying. I could of saved you.LOL

I buy fresh store made. What a pleasure on the taste buds.

That will work Rick. Very nice.

Edited by Brian B

back to Brian B, I make most of my own fresh sausages and about half of my prepared sausages (pepperoni, salami, etc). But I really HATE working with ground turkey, it's like working with snot. So I thought I would try this store-bought turkey sausage, but.................................yeah, it was not the best thing I ever ate. Back to my own Canada Goose with maple syrup, and venison honey garlic sausages! But they are NOT 70 calories per sausage......... :whistling:

Doug

back to Brian B, I make most of my own fresh sausages and about half of my prepared sausages (pepperoni, salami, etc). But I really HATE working with ground turkey, it's like working with snot. So I thought I would try this store-bought turkey sausage, but.................................yeah, it was not the best thing I ever ate. Back to my own Canada Goose with maple syrup, and venison honey garlic sausages! But they are NOT 70 calories per sausage......... :whistling:

Doug

Please mail me some?

Holy frig that sounds like a fantastic sausage

ummmmm, there are two sausages there, one with goose and one with deer. Both use a fair bit of fatty pork for flavour and consistency.

But when I visit you next August, I will bring some. DEAL?

Doug

Absolutely! And in trade you'll have a crap load of fish and fry bread?

And if your game, smoked dinasaur (sturgeon)

Edited by manitoubass2

I will see you about a year from today, or maybe a wee bit later in August 2016. But I will be sure to coordinate it well in advance, never being one to pass up a chance to catch (and EAT) some fresh walleye! And there might be some canned goodies onboard too, like canned goose breasts with bacon..............

Doug

send me some please even 2 lol please reread the relish swiss chalet post really u cant even get relish red in colour up here, home made burgers will never be the same. it is not always paradise up here

John I can pretty well guaranty you that you could make your own home made relish that will put that Bicks to shame, and I grew up on that stuff. Must be harvest season up there for you up there soon? I do have to keep in mind where you are lol. I did it with a green relish recipe I found and it totally blows bicks out of the kitchen. Pretty cheap to make in the fall, and I never run out. This recipe has made it to three farms down the road now, it's that good.

Back to burgers, for me change is good in flavorings and additions the odd time. One thing I do now though a lot, is to mix in minced pork with my beef or game, This started after I followed a recipe I found that also call for bicks onion relish if you can believe it lol. Talk about a tender juicy burger.

Hope it works out for you...

Cheers

Wife and son went up to the parents for dinner tonight.....

What to do?

Yup BBQ!

Pulled out a striplion cooked on the Weber Performer 2 minutes a side, baked potato, brussel sprouts and a salad with a homemade balsamic dressing.... And some light reading material.

I should do this more often!

image_15.jpg

G

Edited by Gerritt