Downrigger fishing

Woggy

Hi folks, I am new to this site but enjoy reading your tips and tricks on fishing. I just got back into fishing its been 20 years and just bought another boat 1875 Lund crossover. I live right on Lake Huron and the St Clair river so I want to get back into downrigger fishing along with other types. My question is this, when I fished before I only ran one line off the downrigger cable but I remember others putting two lines off one downrigger. Will I run into problems of tangling my lines having 2 on one rigger or does it work pretty well. I know I could use planer boards and dipseys but was hoping to steer clear of them since I have no experience with them.

Thx

Paul

I use a stacker clip and run them as close as 20' apart and have never had a tangle. I make sure I'm at speed when setting the lines and will lower the ball down with breaks so the lines can adjust. When one of my downriggers was broken I had four lines for the four in the boat on the same downrigger, had a fish tangle with one line when I popped the line off the clip, wasn't too bad though.

Edited by muskymatt

If you have 2 set ups I'd turn one into a dispey or lead core set up and run it from the other side of the boat. Put a good rod holder on the open side and run the rods apart. You'll avoid a world of hurt down the road as it only a matter of time during the day when stacked rods WILL tangle

Lead core has been the most productive for me the last couple years on Lake Ontario vs the dipsey's

I use Scotty riggers and release clips. I use two rods with Charter Special reels that you can preset the drag so you can lower both lines hands free. Trying to thumb two reels and lower the ball at the same time is tough if you don't have them or don't have another person to help. i always put the lower line out further than the one above it so when it releases it doesn't catch and have never had a tangle yet. I like riggers for fishing deep but if you are shallow or wanting a spread for walleye you need all the methods to really rake the water.

Inexperience with Planers and Dispsy's shouldn't be a reason to stay clear of them, they are really easy to get the hang of and as Fang said they will save you a lot of troubles! lol. I don't use stackers, but I will still run a cheater off each of the riggers, then the Dispsy's, then the planers depending on the season, how deep and how many people we have out lol

Blacks releases make some pretty good set ups for stacking and getting a good distance between your two lines, without having to clip a stacker on your cable and deal with the PITA that is. Tangles are still a possibility, but any steelhead can do that to any set up on any given strike, Steer carefully and you should be good. Dipseys, leadcore,copper, planers, and SWRs off riggers or planers depending on the day, all have their place in a spread.Some days one is hot and one is not; but a wire dipsey with a flasher or spin doctor and a fly will consistently get the biggest fish for me over the course of a season.

one of these : http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Marine-Downrigger-Release-Assembly/dp/B0007RKZ5G

and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-MARINE-PRODUCTS-DOWNRIGGER-RELEASES/dp/B002KNF65O

the Blacks set up looks like this when combined, :

IMG_20141231_130103_zpsdad4626b.jpg