Cottage trip in Rice Lake May30-June1

Steelcat

I just came back from a 3 days trip in Golden Beach Resort. It was a blast~! The weather was hot and humid, wind was calm most of the time except the crazy thunderstorm on the 31st afternoon. My friend didn't know how to swim and afraid of going out to the lake in a small boat, so we decided not to rent a boat and fish from shore. There were plenty of Sunfish around, so worms as well as fake minnow was used. Several Rock Bass were caught as well, with tons of Sunfish caught (kept some for dinner, one was +9 inches). As for me, since I wanted to improve my skill in Carp fishing, I concentrated on Carp during this trip. I was using corn on hook under a float. Actually, before I went for Carp, I threw a couple handful of corn in one area where I saw Carp cruising around; during that time, I was the offical fish unhook and rebait person. After 20 minutes of waiting, I finally saw a group of Carp feeding, I immediately cast my line close to the Carp and slowly reel into position. Not before long, my float sank then my line started to drag out~! FISH ON~ After a short battle, and with an excellent netting skill from my friend(she never net any fish bigger than her palm before), we landed our first Carp of this trip. Even thought it was small (20 inches), it was enough to get my blood pumping. I immediately cast my line back to the area, but then, my friend needed my help to hook a piece of worm onto her hook. Now the funny thing happened, my left hand was holding onto my fishing rod, and my right hand was holding onto a piece of worm waiting for her to walk close to me for the rebaiting. As she walked right beside me and I almost ready to help her, my rod bended hard (almost twisted my wrist), and then we heard the reel scream like crazy~! At the same time, I was like "Holy Beep" then threw the piece of worm away, landed right beside my friend's feet. My friend said I screamed like a little girl >< If you have seen Jaws, remember the scene where the fishing line moving across the surface, that's exactly like that~! After 10 minutes of battle, we finally able to land it. It was a whooping 33 inches Carp~! In two hours of fishing, I caught a total of 7 Carp. On the next morning, we started to fish at 10am, our first fish was a 16 inches Carp, followed by tons of Sunfish. We stopped fishing at around noon because of the sun and heat, still we managed to get 6 Carp, Sunfish, Rock Bass, and an unknown weird looking fish (maybe a Carp baby, maybe not). We drove around Peterborough until evening. After the storm, we went out for some evening fishing again. While we were fishing, a family with several kids arrived and started to fish for panfish (lovely to see kids enjoying the outdoor, poor mama was like "omg when will I be able to catch a fish while you guys kept on asking for worm?!") In 30 minutes of fishing, we were able to land one 30+ inches Carp, lost one GIANT~! Have you guys seen a Carp jumped like Dophin (while dophin swim/jump in front of a speeding ship)? Not just once but as if it was doing a show. Right before we could net it, the line(30lbs braided) broke. It was an awsome way to finish a day. Remember I said my disappointment about my first Carp? Now I'm HOOKED

First Carp of the trip

DSCN2220a-1.jpg

9 inches Sunfish

P5301455a.jpg

One of the Carp that's just hooked

P5301440a.jpg

Finally landed

P5301446a.jpg

33 inches Carp

DSCN2223a.jpg

Sun setting in Rice Lake

P5301481a.jpg

Night time Carp in the lake

P5301491a.jpg

First Carp of the 2nd day

P5311506a.jpg

Some kind of water snake

P5311503a.jpg

One of the weird looking fish (probably baby Carp)

P5311509a-1.jpg

Great report. Looks like some fun fishing. At first look I thought you were right that it was a young carp as they can be more silver than gold. But on second look it doesn't have the right shaped dorsal fin so I don't think it is a carp, not sure what it is.....