Baitfeeder Reels

SirCranksalot

It can be used like a regular spinning reel...

They are popular for carp fishing

As the name suggests it's good for feeding bait... Lol

There's a switch on the reel with a different drag adjustment for a "free spool" effect... So if you want your fish to "take the bait" and you wanna give him time to eat it... This is a good option..

I am a great fan of bait runners, but am wary of Okuma reels, especially the 'Trio' range. Owned one….not impressed, springs on the bail arm died after one month…returned it. However……….

I've owned a Shimano Aero GTE 5000B for 10 years now. Its a bit banged up but the gears and drag are as smooth as the day I got it back in 2003. Awesome…awesome….awesome reel! Used it to free line sand eel baits for stripers sea fishing, used it for multi species in the tropics (it has cranking power) and very effective as an alternative for down rigging.

Advantages for free lining live bait is you can have it on freespool but it also has a separate drag adjustment for freespool. basically have it on freespool with a small amount of tension, fish takes it……you can hear your drag going as an indication a fish has the bait, one turn of the handle clicks you out of freespool and you are fighting the fish, with easy access to adjust your drag with the rear drag feature.

Advantage for bigger game fish is it has cranking power and even though the 5000 was the smallest model (think it goes up to an 8000) its spool can take 140yrds of 20lb test mono. So using braid I can load a full spool (almost) of 80lb Power Pro!

For down rigging you engage the freespool feature with a tighter drag setting and just let the canon ball go down, when at depth, one turn of the handle and freespool is off and your up and running.

IMG_9157.jpg

I don't have a float reel and don't intend to buy one. I balk at their prices and the effort it takes to learn how to use----old dogs, new tricks etc. I have fished for bows with a normal spinning reel. Whether bottom bouncing or float fishing, using a closed bail limits the length of the drift. Fishing with an open bail is awkward because I need to flip the bail once I get a hit. I have lost fish this way. I thought maybe this 'baitfeeder' type(not necessarily the OKuma) might give me the advantages of an open bail(i.e in the 'freespooling' mode) but then 'shift gears' into a normal drag mode by turning the handle. I assume that 'freespooling' is not quite the same effect as you get with a float reel.

Comments?

thx

I can see the advantages for free spooling but at what price? 212 bucks seems pricy.I can't say \|I've lost a fish in the time it takes to flip the bail closed but I don't finesse fish for Steelhead. Then if loosing fish it might be worth the $$$'s.

I was a big fan of free spooling when I was learning to fish Walleye bottom bouncing a light presentation because that is how I was taught by the Father in law. I was getting tired and felt terrible killing fish that were deep hooked and loosing rigs to bottom feeders. It is a great method for big cats but again too many deep hooked. That's why I went to circle hooks, never deep hooked and you can let them run a bit too, Never deep hooked. I don't know the physics behind it but those circle hooks work, for many, many dollars less. I wonder if they can be used for your river fish?

I don't have a float reel and don't intend to buy one. I balk at their prices and the effort it takes to learn how to use----old dogs, new tricks etc. I have fished for bows with a normal spinning reel. Whether bottom bouncing or float fishing, using a closed bail limits the length of the drift. Fishing with an open bail is awkward because I need to flip the bail once I get a hit. I have lost fish this way. I thought maybe this 'baitfeeder' type(not necessarily the OKuma) might give me the advantages of an open bail(i.e in the 'freespooling' mode) but then 'shift gears' into a normal drag mode by turning the handle. I assume that 'freespooling' is not quite the same effect as you get with a float reel.

Comments?

thx

Definitely would not work well... You get the same effect as if you loosened your drag.... Too much tension for a float to pull line out...