Ringwood Hatchery in the News

John Bacon

Thanks for the read.

So the MNR,canceled the stocking program in 2005.

If it were not for groups like, Ringwood,we would all be fishing for chubb and carp in the future. Then when their all gone,we are stuck with,wheres all the fish?

Thankfully,there were still cohos to be had for the hatchery to collect and start a new population.I can remember In the late 70,s early 80,s ,when the coho run in the credit was good.

:clapping::worthy: , to the group at Ringwood.

Now if we could get something like this on the notty. I would be first to sign up.

Edited by Brian B

Now if we could get something like this on the notty. I would be first to sign up.

We don't need any sort of stocking on the Notty. If you want cookie cutters, go fish the 'Geen, lol.

Let those wild chrome rockets do their thing. If anything, increase the no kill sections past Nicholston, all the way up into the tribs if it were up to me.

Edited by BillM

We don't need any sort of stocking on the Notty. If you want cookie cutters, go fish the 'Geen, lol.

Let those wild chrome rockets do their thing. If anything, increase the no kill sections past Nicholston, all the way up into the tribs if it were up to me.

Talking to other anglers (ones that have fished it longer then I) say the river is getting worse every year. One even went as far to say it,s the worst year he has ever seen. This ole boy has been around along time. Fish,s every where.

The MEA does great work. I wish it were closer, I'd be there on regular occasions.

Not sure if hey are still doing the fundraising campaign they had in 2014, but if you made a minimum donation you got a wicked T-shirt. I picked up a couple, seems like they were loaded with karma,'cause first time out on the water wearing it was our best days on O all year.

Rainbow_zps20a62688.jpg

Talking to other anglers (ones that have fished it longer then I) say the river is getting worse every year. One even went as far to say it,s the worst year he has ever seen. This ole boy has been around along time. Fish,s every where.

If I listened to every old boy that thinks the fishing gets worse every year I'd be fishing out of my bathtub for goldfish. There are good and bad seasons, it happens on every river. Sure this year wasn't a slammer, but you really can't expect it to be. With some of the springs we've had, I'm really looking forward to 2016-2017. Should be outstanding.

There aren't many rivers out there that are free of man made obstructions, let mother nature do her thing.

Edited by BillM

There's a number of rivers that get some pretty amazing runs of cohos and they were never stocked with them... :whistling:

Cohos are one of my most favourite fish to hook into. Just a blast on lighter tackle.

From what I can remember reading, stocking on top of natural populations doesn't work too well. Personally I would love to see the Notty as is - If anything, this fall was one of my better seasons up there in terms of numbers and average size for steelhead.

I would really love to see urban rivers close to home like the Humber, Don, Rouge, Mimico, Etobicoke, which have minimal to no natural reproduction get stocked with cohos, browns, steelhead or chinooks.

I would really love to see urban rivers close to home like the Humber, Don, Rouge, Mimico, Etobicoke, which have minimal to no natural reproduction get stocked with cohos, browns, steelhead or chinooks.

Many of the GTA rivers (including ones that you mentioned) are stocked with salmon and/or trout.

Many of the GTA rivers (including ones that you mentioned) are stocked with salmon and/or trout.

Indeed they are - I have fished most of them at one time or another.

I should have stated that I would prefer to stock urban fisheries only that have little to no natural reproduction instead of rivers with an existing good degree of natural reproduction.

There aren't many rivers out there that are free of man made obstructions, let mother nature do her thing.

Did they remove the dams in Baxter and on the Pine.

Pretty sure they are obstructions and were probably man made. :tease::tease::tease:

OH, and please never stock steelhead in the Notty.

It is a special and unique strain that should never be polluted with inferior genes.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Did they remove the dams in Baxter and on the Pine.

How many years ago was that Dave?

I know there use to be one on the pine. I believe it is no more. As for Baxter,are you talking south of the road bridge? I see remnance of something that could of been a dam. Not 100% sure.

Would like to hear about them from you.

Personally I would love to see the Notty as is - If anything, this fall was one of my better seasons up there in terms of numbers and average size for steelhead.

I have to start going out the day before you. :wallbash:

Edited by Brian B