Jerkbait rod

msp

Might be in the market for a new jerk bait rod. Looking for recommendations on a decent casting rod. I had a look at the loomis jb Rod and the St croix legend tournament jb Rod. Both really nice sticks around the same price point. Suggestions don't necessarily have to be high end like the ones mentioned. Just some suggestions and or recommendations. By the way some of my favourite rods that have stood the test of time are inexpensive lower end models.

Oh yeah. I had a look at the new crucials. They look nice too

It really depends what you like. Some like a stiffer tip, others a more parabolic action. In the price range of the IMX jerkbait are the Megabass Orochi XX rods, they have a few options that work well for jerkbaits that cross that range. I have a few rods from that series and really like the feel of them.

really any shortish <8', heavy rod will work. Most Jerkbait applications come in the form of musky/pike or bass, which suits what you want. The real issue is that Musky and Bass JB rods are very different and rod weight will only tell you part of the story. For example, pick up a MH rod made for bass, then a MH rod made for pike/musky. The bass rod will be rated for 12lb - 20lb test line, 1/4 oz to 1 oz lures.

The pike/musky MH rod will be rated for 1/2 to 2 oz lures and 20 - 50lb line.

If you're truly looking for a one fits all, a 7' Heavy action bass type rod will fill both requirements. I use a Bass Pro Extreme flippin' stick for casting, jerking, ripping, etc for pike. I spooled it with 40lb suffex braid. Does the job plus I've got something that will pull bass out of heavy cover.

Good luck in your search!

really any shortish <8', heavy rod will work. Most Jerkbait applications come in the form of musky/pike or bass, which suits what you want. The real issue is that Musky and Bass JB rods are very different and rod weight will only tell you part of the story. For example, pick up a MH rod made for bass, then a MH rod made for pike/musky. The bass rod will be rated for 12lb - 20lb test line, 1/4 oz to 1 oz lures.

The pike/musky MH rod will be rated for 1/2 to 2 oz lures and 20 - 50lb line.

If you're truly looking for a one fits all, a 7' Heavy action bass type rod will fill both requirements. I use a Bass Pro Extreme flippin' stick for casting, jerking, ripping, etc for pike. I spooled it with 40lb suffex braid. Does the job plus I've got something that will pull bass out of heavy cover

Good luck in your search!

Sounds a little too heavy for my liking. I would think a 7' heavy would be overkill for bass.

I use to use a Shimano Cumara it was 6'8" Medium Ex-Fast, I throw my jerk baits on straight 10lb Reaction FC Fluorocarbon, big difference this year in casting distance after switching from FC Sniper to the FC Reaction, low memory and great strength.

Anyway, the Cumara was to stiff I bent hooks often. Mid summer I picked up the Megabass Orochi XX F4.5-68XX "Jerkbait Special" It's a 6'8" Medium Power with a soft action they call "Regular" I consider it Moderate-Fast or Medium -Fast. On a 5+ It bent real deep in the rod on those 1-3lbr's it bends pretty good still. Hooks stopped bending out, casting distance improved. Very light rod and the way those XX's are built they are super strong.

If you throw the 110 Magnums/Ito-Shiner or just bigger jerk baits I was suggested to bump up to the Megabass Orochi XX F4.5-70XX "Flatside Special" Little bit longer little more power. Haven't fished it due to the length, I like doing erratic fast snaps and the longer rods don't work for me.

Good luck in your search. The 6'8 XX is my favourite I've found and it's forcing me to throw jerk baits more and more, just a pleasure to fish with all day long.

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I use almost all Dobyns rods but couldn't find what I was looking for when it came to jerkbaits. The 704cb was too long and the 684cb was too soft in the tip for me.

The rest of the Dobyns I have (champ 734, 735, 702sf, dx 743 and 745) are abslolutly great!

Warranty wise, you won't find one better IMO. Lifetime on manufacturing defects and a $70 no questions asked warranty for when it would not be covered under the lifetime. I smashed a rod tip in the rod locker and went to the store and picked up a new rod. I told him what happened and he handed me a new one anyway. It literally is a no questions asked warranty.

If you do want to use the manaufacturer defect warranty, you will have to pay to ship it to California, but that is it from what I recall. Great rod with great customer service at a pretty good price.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you go that route but maybe email or call Dobyns and ask what they would use. You will end up either talking to Gary or Richard Dobyns and you will see why their customer service is said to be great!

Adam

a little cheaper of an option, and it is a spinning rod (which makes jerk bait fishing all the more fun), I use a

G Loomis Bronzeback SMR751S-SP paired with a Shimano Stradic FH 1000F

It is only 6'3", with a relatively fast tip, for a nice snap to the jerkbait.

I have lots of high end rods and the carbonlite are as sensitive as any out there. They are rumoured to break easily but I have three and they have been awesome. Plus they are $100. The guides are a light wire style but they have held up to braid just fine.

I checked out the new St croix avid and the new crucials.

Both 6 ft 8 medium action

The avid was $229 and had a much softer tip, micro guides and an overall nicer feel

I'm not sure how I feel about the micro guides as I will be periodically using it in the winter

The tip did seem a little bit too soft but a very nice rod

The new crucial retails for $199. Not as soft of a tip but plenty of backbone and a nice balance. The new models remind me of the older models from a few years ago. In my opinion a much nicer Rod than last years models ( black blank with split grip foam )

Both rods have split grip cork, which I like very much. Can't stand the foam grip and will not even consider

I will have the rest of the winter to look around. I will try to find a store that has the Dobyns rods to play with

Any other recommendations or input would be appreciated

If you use leaders, you may have to learn some new knots. The jerkbait special has a little bit larger than micro guides and a uni to uni knot will not fit through them after a few casts. I have heard a modified Albright knot works well but I haven't tried and just used straight braid last year.