Points to ponder on invasive species

John Bacon

I am not convinced on these points.

It is interesting that Purple Loosestrife is used as an example when beetles have been released to control its population. It may have been far more damaging without the biological controls.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/battling-invasive-species-mistake-ecologist-100000274.html

As the professor is very clear to point out. All of these invasive species issues are the result of "man's" tampering. They did not invade. They were introduced by man simply because we have never been good at looking at the long term effects, and consequences, of our actions.

"Yes sir you are correct" the more man messes it up the more we try to cover it up " !!!!!!

As the professor is very clear to point out. All of these invasive species issues are the result of "man's" tampering. They did not invade. They were introduced by man simply because we have never been good at looking at the long term effects, and consequences, of our actions.

I have always thought that money and effort is better spent protecting what is still pristine, rather than trying to rehabilitate something that's already screwed up

I agree for the most part, but that being said most places that see the most people are the places that need the rehabilitation the most, all the millions wasted on randals reef comes to mind (that's a lost cause i think). However, It would be a huge economic loss if we gave up on rehabilitating tourist attractions like quinte and lake O in general, or erie etc. all together because they aren't pristine like some northern lakes. Those need to be protected undoubtedly, and before they get abused by the general public. I think the best way to protect the northern resource(s) would be to make a sustainable one here, cleaner lakes for swimming, stocking programs for fishing and informative educations programs and tours.

When Asian carp invade our Great Lakes it will be because it is introduced by man. And yes, I said 'when' not 'if'.

In Australia years back they introduced the cane toad so it can protect the farmers crops from insects. Not only did the toad do nothing, but anything that ate it (snakes, lizards, dingos) they got poisoned and died. Australia is so rich in wildlife, but one day I promise it will all be gone.