I guess $800 doesn't get you much these days...

Beavertail

Normally I wouldn't say anything but this experience has left a rather sour taste in my mouth. I just got my outboard lower unit back from the shop tonight and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Never mind that it took over 2 months to replace a broken drive shaft - I can live with that, but when I saw all the scratches on the skeg from their vice I couldn't believe my eyes. The motor didn't have a mark on it before, now it looks like they dragged it down a gravel road. Also noticed when I got home they didn't even re-install a cotter pin in the nut holding on the prop. First and last time I will ever be using their services - Massels Marine if anyone is interested. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, so I originally just took the lower unit in to have the impeller and a broken gear shaft replaced. This is my first season with a boat and motor (it's a minty 2004 used Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke) and I thought I would let the 'professionals' do the work. Well, it looks like a high school co-op student was let loose on it - I could have done a better job at home in my basement and I'm by no means a mechanic. So I've ordered a repair manual from Seloc and from now on I'll just do the work myself, lesson learned.

Well karma might bite them in the lower unit. On a side note what caused the drive shaft to break? Or is the the prop shaft in the skeg?

It was the drive shaft, and it happened when the 4 bolts that fasten the lower unit came loose and actually fell out while I was on the water at WOT. The lower unit was basically being held on by the shift linkage and drive shaft. Because everything was out of alignment the shaft sheared off.

It was the drive shaft, and it happened when the 4 bolts that fasten the lower unit came loose and actually fell out while I was on the water at WOT. The lower unit was basically being held on by the shift linkage and drive shaft. Because everything was out of alignment the shaft sheared off.

I would almost think there was sabotage there, never heard of all 4 bolts coming loose at once,unless someone had the bottom end off to put a new water pump in and never tightened the bolts properly

id be pissed ...nothing worse than taking care of your equipment then having some idiot abuse it...did you pay before or after you seen the repair..I would have refused or negotiated,and I totally understand that sometimes crap happens...but they could have at the least explained to you and offered to touch up the paint

I would almost think there was sabotage there, never heard of all 4 bolts coming loose at once,unless someone had the bottom end off to put a new water pump in and never tightened the bolts properly

I think it was whoever last changed the water pump...I will know carry a 12mm wrench in my tool kit on the boat and check those bolts on a regular basis.

id be pissed ...nothing worse than taking care of your equipment then having some idiot abuse it...did you pay before or after you seen the repair..I would have refused or negotiated,and I totally understand that sometimes crap happens...but they could have at the least explained to you and offered to touch up the paint

I paid first, then they grabbed it from the shop, another lesson learned...always examine the work done BEFORE paying. I just expected a job well done, that's why I took it there in the first place and paid a high shop rate - they're supposed to be the professionals. If I paid my neighbours kid $7/hr to do the job I wouldn't be complaining right now. Sometimes you just don't get what you pay for. And I really do take care of all my stuff as well, that's why it pisses me off so much.

Edited by Beavertail

Well if the service manager at Massels keeps his word than I do have some respect for them. After I called back again today to complain and mention that I was having my lower unit repainted, then asked them to pay the bill he actually agreed. Still a huge inconvenience for me but I'll give them credit for at least trying to make things right(only after I did all the bitchn') I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the grease.