Advice on buying a flasher

LostAnotherOne

Great info Fang. Thank you for putting in the time. I just don't want to spend the bucks and find out I should of got this or that. Battery power, built in GPS, and colour screen are now on my list with my purchase of a graph. Thanks

You gotta remember that these features are great, but they eat battery.. My 5000W HB 747C will give me maybe a day and a half on the ice on a full charge (This is why I carry two batteries with me all the time)..

I have a Lowrance and there is a small delay but nothing I consider significant. The biggest problem was getting it set up so that I could see my lure or sinker. There are so many screens and choices that get to be very confusing esp when your fingers are freezing!!

I saw 1 guy try to use a flasher last year and it was all razzle dazzle. I had no idea what I was looking at and apparently neither did he, despite his convoluted explanations as to what was what. Gee wiz---I can play video games in he comfort of my living room!!

Don't want to spend all this money and having my battery die before noon. So buying an extra battery would be wise to do. I looked at your HB 747C and I like that one too. Where can I grab one?

It's an old discontinued model, but it works great and you could probably pick one up super cheap.

I have a lowrance elite 3x and the battery has never been below 3/4 even after 12-14 hour days

thats crazy bill that your unit chews the batter that much!

then again mines just a tiny unit lol

my buddy runs a hummingbird ice 45 and loves it! he lands just as many fish as me so Id guess its preference. lots of great info on this thread!

I also have a vexilar fl8 and its just kinda a backup if someone comes with me and doesnt have electronics. it works too, i just much prefer my graph

Edited by manitoubass2

High wattage unit, full colour 5in screen, yeah it doesn't like batteries, lol! It also doubles as the graph I use on the bow of the boat hooked up to the US2 on my Terrova during the softwater season. To me its a perfect compromise.

Edited by BillM

Yep they do love batteries

I mounted my graph on top of a small lunch cooler and run it off a 12V 15Ah battery. It's a beefed up version of the 7.0Ah batteries they provide in the underwater camera's like Aqua view

Got mine at Magnacharge Batteries for not much more $ than the 7.0 one. It's just a little taller and heavier. There is a store out in London

I can run full out on fly in trips for 4+ days - 8 hrs a day before recharging. Make sure you turn the brightness down and you'll get a lot longer out of a battery charge.

I'd also suggest getting the optional ice fishing transducer for your set up. For convenience and travel well worth every penny.

I put a bit of insulating foam around the battery to wedge it in place and bought one that had enough room that I could transport the ice transducer in the cooler. Make easy set up and pack up.

A little trick I use seems to get me more life. I crack a hot pocket from the dollar store at the start of a trip inside the cooler to keep the battery from getting super cold during the day.

Happy Shopping. Almost as much fun buying them as it is fishing with them

High wattage unit, full colour 5in screen, yeah it doesn't like batteries, lol! It also doubles as the graph I use on the bow of the boat hooked up to the US2 on my Terrova during the softwater season. To me its a perfect compromise.

Im with ya in the dual purpose Bill. I couldnt stand having a Vex sitting on the shelf for 9 months/year when I could use the same unit all year.

• 1 month later...