NF - Elusive Fisher Captured on Trail Camera...Again (Ottawa, Nov. 22)

JustinHoffman

You'll often see martens during the day along the the lake shore. Like Wayne said, they're not very big. Neat to see though.

Not sure how rare wolverines are, but there's at least one of them south east of North Bay.

Are you thinking of minks?

I cant say for sure, but the ones I see around here are about the size of a groundhog....I always thought they were martens.....

Looks like the same one in the vid, but not much there to compare size with.

I also thought fishers were found more north....

I could have the two confused, im really not sure.

S.

There's something I've always called a marten that's about the size of a small cat. Longer body, but cat-sized. Could be a mink. Not sure.

Saw a mink here in Oakville.....or what I'm calling a mink. It was definitely smaller than what I see up north. Or could've been a younger one.

A mink is not much bigger than a large squirrel. A marten, like you say, a bit bigger than a cat, but longer. I thought a fisher was much bigger than a cat....more like coon size. We have a fisher mounted at work, i'll take a pic of it and post it. Its pretty big. Bigger than the one in the vid....i think anyways. lol

S.

the one near our house was the exception.

it didnt mind us at all as long as you didnt yell and startle it lol

it was a youngin though

there cries are awesome! should be used in horror movies

(ooops im talking fishers)

ive never been too too close to an otter

stay the f away from a beaver on dry land though I can say that! and there deceptively fast!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

attachicon.giffisher.jpg

After a couple of sets being tore apart by a bear I finally captured my last Fisher to fill my quota. A big male fisher might be the size of a small fox. I have heard of them being as far south as Barrie.

Very nice! How many did you manage to trap this season and what was their average value?

I've been thinking about starting trapping for a few years now but have yet to to commit.

Very nice! How many did you manage to trap this season and what was their average value?

I've been thinking about starting trapping for a few years now but have yet to to commit.

I am a helper on a registered trap line and our quota is 10. So we each get 5. . Fisher go for about $100 ( females big males are about $50) muskrats about $8 and otter about $80. Beaver prices took a big hit dropping to about a $18 average on the last sales. But you never know what they will bring until sold at auction. The prices were high a couple years back and that brought out every trapper and their brothers and flooded the market.

My buddy had one at the base of his tree stand that wouldn't go away despite him yelling at it. It kept coming up the tree toward him. Then back down, then back up. Getting closer and closer each time.

So he poked it....

Sorry for the graphic pic. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I know it's illegal to kill a fisher. But this one was acting wild, and these little buggers got sharp teeth!!!!

IMG_4353.JPG

I am a helper on a registered trap line and our quota is 10. So we each get 5. . Fisher go for about $100 ( females big males are about $50) muskrats about $8 and otter about $80. Beaver prices took a big hit dropping to about a $18 average on the last sales. But you never know what they will bring until sold at auction. The prices were high a couple years back and that brought out every trapper and their brothers and flooded the market.

Interesting, I expected the quota to be higher than that. Care to share what the quota was for other animals you trapped?

Are quota's the same for every trapper? If not, what factors are used to determine who can trap how many of each animal?

My buddy had one at the base of his tree stand that wouldn't go away despite him yelling at it. It kept coming up the tree toward him. Then back down, then back up. Getting closer and closer each time.

So he poked it....

Sorry for the graphic pic. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I know it's illegal to kill a fisher. But this one was acting wild, and these little buggers got sharp teeth!!!!

Just to clarify for those who don't know.

It's illegal to hunt or kill a fisher "just because". It's 100% legal to trap for fur or kill them if they're damaging your property...or in this case attempting to kill you. Your buddy made a nice shot! :clapping:

Edited by ch312

Interesting, I expected the quota to be higher than that. Care to share what the quota was for other animals you trapped?

Are quota's the same for every trapper? If not, what factors are used to determine who can trap how many of each animal?

Each registered trap line has a different quota for fisher and beaver depending on the area of land and the population. If your a private land trapper you have to apply with how many acres you have to even get a quota of 1 for fisher .. On my private land license for simcoe county I have a quota of 0 and If i happen to catch one while trapping coons I have to report it and apply for a license to possess the pelt. Beaver are an open quota on a private land license but on our trap line the quota for beaver is 120 and we have to take atleast 75% I believe or else they can take the line away. Its different rules for each area so you would have to look into the area that you wish to trap.

• 4 months later...