Anyone have a 2014 350 Yamaha Bruin??

reelinrolly

Just wondering if anyone has a 350 Bruin. I am looking at atvs right now, and was wondering if this machine would be adequate to use to go ice fishing on Lake St. Clair

Main concern is about getting stuck. How good are these things in snow?? Gears getting way to heavy to drag out lol

I have a bruin 350 4x4. It's an excellent machine, and it's never failed to start even after sitting for hours in -30 weather last winter. Rated to tow 1100lbs, but I've gone over that before for sure and it's done well. The yamaha auto transmission is as close to bulletproof as you can get in a belt drive. It does pretty well in up to a foot with a set of chains on the rear. If you hit slush your going to get hooped, but that is universal for almost any 350 class machine. Put a good warn winch on the front and chains on the back and you will get through a lot! Mine is an 05 and I'm very satisfied overall. Good luck!

Edited by porkpie

IMO you'd be far better off spending the few extra bucks on a Kodiak 450 to get a much more capable machine. The MSRP is $800 more for the Kodiak, but when you consider how much better the Kodiak is it's easy to see that the Kodiak is definitely worth the extra investment.

-Bruin only has forward and reverse, Kodiak offers high and low gearing (I'd choose Kodiak for this reason alone!)

-Bruin does not have differential lock like the Kodiak does. Diff lock = game changer in deep mud or slush

-Kodiak is liquid cooled while the Bruin is air cooled. Air cooled is fine in winter, totally sucks in the summer heat

-Kodiak offers 1" more ground clearance

-Kodiak has the option of power steering, which is likely the best thing that has ever happened to ATV's.

-Far more aftermarket parts and accessories for the Kodiak

-Easier resale on the Kodiak

Power steering is simply amazing and I have yet to meet a single rider with EPS on their machine who dislikes it as it makes it far easier to control the machine, especially when in 4x4. It also greatly reduces kick back when your front tires strike a rock, log, etc meaning you have far better control of the machine. Better control, less fatigue, and a safer ride.

What type of terrain will you be riding most? I can't really recommend a tire without knowing this first...

IMO you'd be far better off spending the few extra bucks on a Kodiak 450 to get a much more capable machine. The MSRP is $800 more for the Kodiak, but when you consider how much better the Kodiak is it's easy to see that the Kodiak is definitely worth the extra investment.

-Bruin only has forward and reverse, Kodiak offers high and low gearing (I'd choose Kodiak for this reason alone!)

-Bruin does not have differential lock like the Kodiak does. Diff lock = game changer in deep mud or slush

-Kodiak is liquid cooled while the Bruin is air cooled. Air cooled is fine in winter, totally sucks in the summer heat

-Kodiak offers 1" more ground clearance

-Kodiak has the option of power steering, which is likely the best thing that has ever happened to ATV's.

-Far more aftermarket parts and accessories for the Kodiak

-Easier resale on the Kodiak

Power steering is simply amazing and I have yet to meet a single rider with EPS on their machine who dislikes it as it makes it far easier to control the machine, especially when in 4x4. It also greatly reduces kick back when your front tires strike a rock, log, etc meaning you have far better control of the machine. Better control, less fatigue, and a safer ride.

What type of terrain will you be riding most? I can't really recommend a tire without knowing this first...

X2!

I can give you a real life experience. We have a couple of 2007 450s at work, excellent machines, one has 10,000km, the other is just behind that. Neither has had any major work, only the annual, grease and oil and a couple batteries. All winter they are both used to plow our parking lot. Summer time used for tearing around the woods. I have my own 2009 550 Grizzly with electric power steering. That alone is work every penny, no effort when riding through the tough stuff, no kickbacks at all.