Battery Size.... Fish Finder.... Trolling Motor options

2 tone z71

Fellas looking for a decent set up ..Bow Mount Min kota 65 pd thrust ish...Fish finder that works with it so it tracks itself ...Whats Required ? and will it all run off one Large capacity 12 V Battery..How much run time will I get off a full charge...New to this Bow mount stuff..thanks for any and all help appreciated

If I am not mistaken 55lb is the highest powered trolling motor that will run off of 12V... You get into a second battery at that point.

As for the fishfinder working with it, you need to find a trolling motor that has a transducer built into it that is compatible with your unit

I have heard that it is better to run your fishfinder off a separate battery than the trolling motor, not sure exactly why though. Voltage spikes maybe? Interference?

Everything said above is true. A 65lb thrust TM is 24volts. I have 2 group 27 deep cycles for mine. Interstates. Group 31 would be better but I didn't have the funds at the time. The higher the reserve capacity rating, the longer they will last but unless you plan on using the TM at full speed, you shouldn't have any issues running the TM for a full day. I typically drain my batteries down to half after 10 hours on the water.

As for the fishfinder, hook it to your cranking battery. If you are using the US2 transducer in the TM (assuming this is what you mean and you have one) there may be a little interference. If you hook it to one of the Deep cycles, you will be draining one battery more than the other which is t good as well as you will get more interference making the fishfinder useless. Minnkota makes ferrule rings that will reduce the interference from using the US2 but they won't help if you hook it to the deep cycles. At least not enough to make it usable.

Adam.

Thanks for all the help fellas..I haven't gotten a TM yet..I I think ill stick with a 55 as I only want one Battery up there..so ill find a Min Kota with the Transducer built in that works with a decent FF for the Bow and I'm set...ill run power to the main so no interference...awesome

What size boat are you running? If it is over 16 feet. I would recomend you look at a 24v system. I had a 45 on my 18.6ft bass tracker ambit would barely move the boat if it wasn't on the highest setting and was useless in waves. You will never say I have too much power in the TM but will regret the purchase constantly if you go too small.

I'll second what Lape0019 just said - I have a 45lb on the front of my 16' Legend Prosport (not a heavy boat) and it is good for most days, but there have been a few windy days out there when I would have been better off with more power... if your boat has the space and you have the funds, go with more power. If I have my boat for a few more years (which I likely will) I will be upgrading to at least a 70lb with the universal sonar/ipilot. Spot lock is such an awesome feature. I was watching an episode of Lindner's fishing show last night and they had the unit which you can have follow the depth contour lines from your sonar at the touch of a button - just amazing!

Pete

If your shelling out the cash for a bow-mount, do it right the first time. I wouldn't even consider a 12V system now on my boat.

I have a 55lb PD on my 16ft tiller, and it works good, but I wouldn't complain with more power, that's for sure. I run mine off 2 31 series deep cycles and it can run about 6-8 hours non stop trolling 1.5-2mph....depending on wind/waves. With one battery, it wouldn't last half that long though.....I'd be way better off using the same two batts on a bigger 24v system for sure.

I run a separate battery for my graph, just a small 12V 18aH gell cell that only runs the graph.

S.

Wise decision.

The last thing you need to consider is cable driven or electric steer. I have a terrova with the 2nd generation of Ipilot. I love the motor for its capabilities but recently used a fourtex and really enjoyed how much quicker a cable driven TM responds to movements. I am not getting rid of the terrova but I will more than likely to back to a cable driven one on the next boat.

The downside is you lose out on all of the cool stuff coming out with GPS capabilities.

Adam