Something seems off with this motor

mattp33

A buddy of mine is going to look at this boat tonight and asked me what I thought, I wont have time to go with him but to me something doesn't seem right about the "optimax"

The cowl looks a lot like my 2003 EPTLO, but also I think the EFI motor had a similar cowl on it?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=1021125032&image=0&enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Look strange to anyone else? Any know a lot about thses Tundra's?

He will be checking the hull for cracks as I heard that the hydo-formed tundras suffer from.

Thanks in advance

That motor is older then 2002... Simple Google image search confirms that. Looks like a 1998-99 motor from what I can tell. I think the cowel changed to the more aero ones in 2000.

Or its not an opti at all?

I have herd lots of negetive things about these boats while researching this afternoon, I think i will advise him to keep looking for a Targa.

Must be a reason they dont make these anymore!

Or its not an opti at all?

I have herd lots of negetive things about these boats while researching this afternoon, I think i will advise him to keep looking for a Targa.

Must be a reason they dont make these anymore!

I'd never buy a Tracker after the horror stories and crap warranty service a lot of people received. No way.

Nitro is part of the tracker marine group. So it tahoe and mako.

The issues being spoken of are with tracker aluminum hulls. I have a PT 190tx and have not had any issues with this hull. I will say I have read many horror stories regarding the boat your friend is looking at. Apparently, aluminum is not the best material to form into that shape of a hull and there have been numerous complaints if cracked hulls and I beleive even one sinking on this very board. The merc is more than likely an older version if an optimax. If it is the 98-99 that someone else has mentioned, that motor was plagued with problems as well. Most of the. Have been corrected so it all depends in the type if maintenance and how many hoes are on that motor. It also never hurts to have a leak down and compression test done before buying anything just to be sure

Thanks for the info guys, he went, he saw, he turned down! I have a nitro bass boat and love the thing, no problems at all so I dont mind the name.

Looks like he is going to go with the Targa (if he can find 1) we have both heard of far too many problems with the tundra hull.

As for the engine on this boat my theory was confimed, its just an EPTLO engine with a horrible optimax sticker on it lol